#1 Frizzy

Frizzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

Hi all, I am about to receive an Obutto R3volution. I like the sound of SimVibe as well.
Can anyone suggest on what to buy and where to buy for use here in Malaysia, 240v 50/60 Hz

What should I get, number of Buttkickers or a mix with Shakers as well and where to buy given voltages here etc and how many and then best place to fix them to the rig etc

My mother board has a built in soundcard and about 5 or so sockets for speakers etc plus an optical output.

Do I need to grab another sound card. See, I'm completely in the dark on this.

Finally, the Amp ( have one driving as much as possible ) or one per device. Any suggestions for the entire solution.

All new to me but sounds very cool indeed and I'm looking forward to feeling the result.

So any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Dave
I am in the process of building and bringing all this together for my very first Man Cave. At 50, it's never too late!

#2 Darin Gangi

Darin Gangi

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 3,475 posts
  • LocationSpokane Valley, WA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

Hi Dave,

Not sure on where to buy them except www.thebuttkicker.com. We have a coupon code with them now for 10% off certain packages. Use ISR10 to get it. 

I run two shakers with my sim vibe setup and it's plenty. If you want all four corners than go with 4. Buttkicker sells a package with with an amp and 4 shakers too. Matter of fact, scroll down and click on their ad to check out their deals. ;-) Buttkickers should mount right to the Obutto. 

Sim Vibe, you need an extra sound card to make it fully compatible. You can get them cheap. I got a PCI-E Asus card for like $30. 

Hope that helps !

#3 U.N.K.L.E

U.N.K.L.E

Don't Know Jack Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

My advice would be to wait until you setup your rig and then to start thinking about your options for attaching the shakers to your rig.

Regarding Simvibe it really depends on how far you intend to go ie chassis mode, extensions mode or both.

Depending on your answer will depend on the setup and installation.

I'd start small with extensions mode and work yourself up until you are happy.  So perhaps one shaker under the seat and one under the pedals in extensions mode.  You may find that the Buttkicker works well under the seat but a different shaker brand might work better under the pedals.

Buttkicker isn't the only option out there, there's also the Aura Bass Shaker, I use three of these (two under seat and one under pedals) but I don't know if Aura Shakers are available where you reside. 

Also think of the shakers as speakers that take up one channel on an amp, so a stereo amp can power two shakers (it can power more in theory depending upon how you wire the shakers but that's another topic). You don't really need to worry about voltage for shakers since they connect using regular speaker wire.  Your main concern with voltage and ohm is for the type of amp used to power the shakers.

Buttkicker Gamer comes with an amp which is enough to get you started but others on this forum with more elaborate SimVibe setups tend to use a multi channel amp to power all the shakers, so again it really depends on the number of shakers you are aiming for.

In my case I use a little Pyle 4ohm stereo 40w per channel amp to power my three shakers which works perfectly and I only need to have the volume half way.  If I wanted to add more shakers I'll have to upgrade the amp to a larger multi channel amp or buy additional stereo amps.

To get simvibe and sound to work together you can use the following combinations:

1. mobo soundcard (Simvibe) + second internal soundcard (sound)
  2. mobo soundcard (Sound) + second internal soundcard (Simvibe)
  3. mobo soundcard (Simvibe) + USB soundcard (sound)
  4. mobo soundcard (Simvibe) + USB headphones (sound)

I use options 3 and 4 as I already had the hardware and it was easier to setup.

Note: that it you want to run both extensions AND chassis mode then you'll need an additional internal soundcard

#4 Frizzy

Frizzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

Thanks heaps guys, both help a lot and love the show Darin.

So is a mobo sound card, one I buy and install in my PC as well?
  • Darin Gangi likes this
I am in the process of building and bringing all this together for my very first Man Cave. At 50, it's never too late!

#5 U.N.K.L.E

U.N.K.L.E

Don't Know Jack Member

• Members
  • 2,321 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

Thanks heaps guys, both help a lot and love the show Darin.

So is a mobo sound card, one I buy and install in my PC as well?

No, most good motherboards come with a built in sound card, so you can just use that for SimVibe for either extensions OR chassis mode. However that will mean you'll get no sound, so you have to either install a second sound card to get the sound to output or alternatively if you want an easy setup option you can use a USB soundcard or just use usb headphones. 

#6 Frizzy

Frizzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

Thank you, could I also use the optical output from the motherboard sound card and use an optical splitter, one off to my speakers and one off to the amp with a converter if required?

Any direction or advice on what I should choose here http://www.pagnianim...specials-1.html

Cheers
Dave

#7 U.N.K.L.E

U.N.K.L.E

Don't Know Jack Member

• Members
  • 2,321 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

could I also use the optical output from the motherboard sound card and use an optical splitter, one off to my speakers and one off to the amp with a converter if required

No

#8 Frizzy

Frizzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

Ok, thanks for all the info. Has been a good help and much appreciated

#9 Darin Gangi

Darin Gangi

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 3,475 posts
  • LocationSpokane Valley, WA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

No, most good motherboards come with a built in sound card, so you can just use that for SimVibe for either extensions OR chassis mode. However that will mean you'll get no sound, so you have to either install a second sound card to get the sound to output or alternatively if you want an easy setup option you can use a USB soundcard or just use usb headphones. 

I don't think USB headphones are fully supported by Sim Vibe versus using a stand alone sound card. It can work, but i don't believe it's supported. 

#10 U.N.K.L.E

U.N.K.L.E

Don't Know Jack Member

• Members
  • 2,321 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

I don't think USB headphones are fully supported by Sim Vibe versus using a stand alone sound card. It can work, but i don't believe it's supported. 

Darin I was talking about USB headphones for sound only, not for SimVibe use.  SimVibe are rubbish for user support and they don't offer any advice as to what combinations of hardware might work and what won't work, so their get out clause is to say that all USB sound devices are not supported.

If you get SimVibe to work on an internal/mobo sound card then pretty much any additional device that windows detects as a separate sound source will work.  As I said I got SimVibe to work just fine in tandem with a $29 usb sound adapter for delivering sound over optical output and also with Sony PS3 USB Bluetooth headphones.

51RVrZQK0nL._SL1000_.jpg

71bwelWds8L._SL1500_.jpg

#11 Frizzy

Frizzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

Hi all, I'm about to spend 2 weeks in Houston. Can I buy 2 shakers in the US ( no amp due to them all being 110v ) and then just buy an amp back here in Malaysia, that is 240v ??? Will that work fine? If so, can anyone suggest a suitable 240v amp. Finally, should I just buy the shakers from Amazon - what model? And what's the ohm significance all about???
Many thanks
Dave

#12 U.N.K.L.E

U.N.K.L.E

Don't Know Jack Member

• Members
  • 2,321 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:52 AM

Hi all, I'm about to spend 2 weeks in Houston. Can I buy 2 shakers in the US ( no amp due to them all being 110v ) and then just buy an amp back here in Malaysia, that is 240v ??? Will that work fine? If so, can anyone suggest a suitable 240v amp. Finally, should I just buy the shakers from Amazon - what model? And what's the ohm significance all about???
Many thanks
Dave

Yes you could buy the shakers here and then get the amp back home. The Aura shakers are the only type I own and have ever tried so I don't know how they compare to others, but I'm very happy with them.  Unlike the buttkicker gamer they are easy to get hold of on Amazon and they even sell them cheaper in pairs.  They aren't as powerful as buttkickers but I only ever need to turn the volume half way up to get the desired effect.

The ohm significance is that if its a 4ohm shaker then you really should use a 4ohm amp to power it.  Most consumer amps are 8ohm but iif it's a good quality amp then it should be able to power a 4ohm shaker without causing any damage, although the amp might run hotter when you turn the volume way up. I would advise that you read up on this before wiring the equipment together though and read the manual on your amp to check if it'll be ok.

If you can only get an 8ohm amp and are unsure then you can look at wiring the shakers differently to lighten the load on the amp, there's lots of AV forums that wil explain it better than me but you should read up on how to wire speakers in "parallel" and in "series" and to understand the diffferences between the two and when to use them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users