9 replies to this topic

#1 Peace

Peace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationtWeed, Ontario, Canada

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

Hey, first time poster on this website. I was introduced to iRacing and racing simulators on Tuesday, March 5th, 2013 at a friends house. [   http://insidesimraci...20mins/?hl=lego     - this was his cockpit ]
After 1 lap of Summit Point on iRacing I was hooked. We went out the very next day so I could buy a Logitech G27 steering wheel and that afternoon spent several hours working on a cockpit for me.
The next day we went hard at it again and got him a more solid cockpit built that was similiar to the one we built for me! (It only made sense, seeing as I had two Yonaka racing seats.)
**If anyone wants any details or wants to ask a question feel free to post below. I will reply the best I can!**
This is what we ended up with ;
rigs.JPG
rig2.jpg

• Matt Dafoe likes this

#2 Tucker 73

Tucker 73

iRacing: Paul Tucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • LocationBlighty

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

very cool, side by side racing, not sure i could do that with my buddys and keep my concentration, its great catching the race bug happy racing

photo_3hgf.jpg d4.jpg photogfd.jpg

#3 Peace

Peace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

haha we did not end up trying it side by side, Matt did not have his computer with him when we were doing this.
I agree , it would be difficult to drive beside someone else, Thanks happy racing to you too!

• Matt Dafoe likes this

#4 Matt Dafoe

Matt Dafoe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

Afew extra pics

Attached Thumbnails

• rigdone.JPG
  • DSC01503.JPG
  • DSC01505.JPG

KR: "Those boys from 1960s and early ‘70s in F1. Drivers made from steel in cars made of wood."

#5 CaTaPulT

CaTaPulT

I Hope I know jack.... I AM Jack!

• Members
  • 2,261 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta, Canada

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

Hi Peace.

First off, welcome to ISRT, and sim racing.

You're off to a great start with the home built rig and a good wheel.

I hope you get much enjoyment from your new hobby, as with everything else, it can be a inexpensive hobby or on the other hand, the sky's the limit, it all depends on how fancy you want to get! LOL

Enjoy and have fun. :)

Take care

Regards:  >>>> Jack <<<<

• Matt Dafoe likes this
Follow your dreams.... just not the one about being naked at work. :smile:

#6 Peace

Peace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

:smile: Thank you very much CaTaPulT (Jack)! I am starting to learn this aha, but I keep telling myself I am  trying to stay cheap until I get better. haha

#7 CaTaPulT

CaTaPulT

• Members
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:37 PM

You're a wise man, keep it cheap until you are sure you like it first. :)

The G27 is probably the best deal going out there, it's a very goodt wheel/pedal/shifter set for a good price. Anything that comes even close or better costs quite a bit more.

About the only word of advice I can give, keep it slow, meaning, don't try and advance too fast, take your time learning and getting the feel for it, especially on iRacing which is far from being the easiest sim out there.

Also, don't get discouraged too easily, there are people out there that have been doing this a long time who aren't that good but still very much enjoy it, I kind of fall into this catagory. LOL

The most important thing in a rig is not how pretty it is or how fancy it is...... it's all about comfort, ask yourself....."Could I race a 2 hour race in this thing?" if you can answer YES, then mission accomplished! :)

Enjoy.

Take care

• Johnny Carr likes this

#8 Peace

Peace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:21 AM

I feel a lot better about buying that wheel now after this website :)  I knew it was good, but now it seems perfect, also
Thank you for the advice! It seems synonymous with what Matt has been explaining to me hahaha

and just so ya know the answer to the comfort question, yes I could easily spend atleast 2 hours in my rig no problem :D

#9 CaTaPulT

CaTaPulT

• Members
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:03 AM

I feel a lot better about buying that wheel now after this website :)  I knew it was good, but now it seems perfect, also
Thank you for the advice! It seems synonymous with what Matt has been explaining to me hahaha

and just so ya know the answer to the comfort question, yes I could easily spend atleast 2 hours in my rig no problem :D

Excellent, then you already have the main problem of sim racing licked, Comfort, might not sound like much but trust me, it is, nothing worst than trying to race consistantly when your body starts getting sore as you gradually get further into a race time wise. Comfort is everything. The rest will fall into place! :)

I have a 5 year old G25 that is still going strong, my GF uses it, it's never given us any problems what so ever, excellent wheel for it's price point.

Take care

#10 Rutt

Rutt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:53 PM

Very cool idea now iv got to build me one for me and my kids keep up the good work

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cheap, Fun, Easy, Build, Wood, Friend, homemade, diy, custom, Yonaka

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users