Ja5on

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationBonny Banks - Scotland

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:28 AM

How do you guys do it?

I'm trying to get off of my oval rookie licence, bat I always end up involved in other peoples mess!!

ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 Moreno

Moreno

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationSurrey

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:51 AM

It's tricky in rookie classes.  What I ended up doing was calming my competitive side down and taking it easy.  Start from the pit lane and take it easy.  So many people make mistakes and crash out of rookie races that if you mind your own lines and don't get caught up in challenging for positions you'll find yourself in the top places at the end of the race anyways.  Also I know from my own experience that, unlike the real world, when we sim-race and we see someone coming on track from an off or spinning in the middle of the circuit we often seem to think "oh, everything will be fine if I continue like nothing's happened" and we maybe only lift a little bit and take minor avoiding actions.  When we race real life cars and the fear of injury or death is very real we see these situations unfolding in front of us and we get straight on the brakes hard and early to make sure we at the very least don't end up with an expensive scrape with our car.  I have learned to do this in the virtual world as well and it is paying dividends.

#3 Mahnegold

Mahnegold

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:54 AM

How do you guys do it?

I'm trying to get off of my oval rookie licence, bat I always end up involved in other peoples mess!!

ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hehe....

first of all I created a similar thread then yours to vent my anger. :mad:

Then I listened to the responses, which basically said that all of us had the same pain. The "magic" solution is, to get out of Rookie class ASAP. Start in the pits, give room to everybody. Don't care for your position at all! The only important factor is safety rating, so stay away from everybody. "No incidents" must be your main goal. If doing so, you should get promoted very fast.

Good luck!

• Moreno likes this

Thrustmaster T500 RS + TH8 RS @Obutto r3volution (PC, PS3)

Thrustmaster Rallye GT Pro @Wheelstand Pro (PC, spare & retro-games)

#4 Ja5on

Ja5on

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

cheers, guys. 

#5 RHardin15

RHardin15

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationFort Mill, SC

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

I am so thankful that I started on iRacing when I did. The Rookie class was not at all bad when I started (I started on Week 13, and it wasn't only Rookies in the race with me). I was only a rookie on oval for 4 or 5 races which also helped (rookie promotion was within a couple days of me starting iRacing).

#6 Ja5on

Ja5on

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

your lucky mate.  I just did an oval race there.  Started in pits and just cruised around....... 23 laps in and all going good untill a guy spins mid corner and then drives forward onto racing line. FFS

#7 U.N.K.L.E

U.N.K.L.E

Don't Know Jack Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

I'd say drive a little bit under your full potential at about 70-80% so that you are comfortable with your speed.  This will allow you to react better to what's happening around and ahead of you so you can avoid the incidents, anyone who is faster than you and is behind you then don't put up much of a fight, in most cases those guys will spin off later down the road.

#8 Nate Moore

Nate Moore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

Treat every car on the track like a little kid who cant see over the steering wheel was driving their car.  Dont trust any of them to do what you would expect them to do on a race track :)

#9 Ja5on

Ja5on

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

Its all good now, turned on the spotter.  Makes a huge difference

#10 Mahnegold

Mahnegold

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

LOL, yeah for sure! I didn't mention it, because I took it for granted that the spotter is turned on (at least on ovals). :-P

Thrustmaster T500 RS + TH8 RS @Obutto r3volution (PC, PS3)

Thrustmaster Rallye GT Pro @Wheelstand Pro (PC, spare & retro-games)

#11 J.A.R.V.I.S.

J.A.R.V.I.S.

Sim Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

Just slow down when you see smoke (this took a long time for me to learn but once you get going it is actually pretty easy).

Jarvis' Sim Racing Chassis: IMG_1247.JPG  http://insidesimraci...racing-chassis/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users