Did some reading on tactile transducers and how they immerse you in a game like no mere speaker can and thought I'd give it a spin. I started with a used freebee 12" 4 ohm subwoofer, cut the center out leaving the voice coil intact, epoxied a 5/16" bolt with a stretch of lexan for a support and borrowed a friends 1000 watt car amp.
Uhhh..... am I the only one that hasn't felt this kind of low end seat-of-the-pants rumble? Wow is an understatement! I'm sold on the difference between a transducer and a subwoofer. Gotta have one of these on my sim rig!
So.....I started thinking. I have a Logitech Z-5500 I bought off craigslist for 20 bucks (needed the satellites for my sim) . It was missing the control head as most of these failed leaving an amp, subwoofer and 5 nice satellites basically useless. I found a guy on Ebay that makes a bypass cable for these units, allowing full use of the 500 plus watts. 25 bucks with a volume control and RCA inputs for the Yamaha sub outs, on the way. WAY cheaper than having to buy an amp. I took the amp out of the Z-5500 sub box and mounted it to the front of my sim in a Lexan housing . Easy enough. Now onto the bigger issue. The first problem is the RS-1 derivative I built is that it is based on a 2x4 platform giving me exactly 3.5" of clearance under the seat. Certainly no where near enough room for my home made 12" modded subwoofer transducer anyway. Time to elevate the rig. I had a set of new 4" casters that came with a stationary storage cabinet I purchased a few years ago. This netted me another 5.5" of height, Still not enough and even it it was, the speaker is rated @ 4 ohms, not the 8 ohms required by both the Yamaha receiver (providing low level input) or the Logitech Z-5500 amp, which is rated at 188 watts to the sub @ 8 ohms. If I understand correctly, this basically doubles the watt output of the amp and probably leads to things like overheating. So...I opted for a few transducers. Luckily they are ALL a LOT smaller than my home built monster sub transducer. I opted for a Clark TD 209 and a Dayton puck style transducer for the pedals, both rated @ 4 ohms. Wired in series with one another it brings their perspective demands back to a comfy 8 ohms...at least that's my understanding. The rubber wheels should provide be the isolation required to prevent the reverberations from going through the entire house. That's the goal anyway. The goodies should be in tomorrow. I got the wheels and amp mounted tonight, ready for the two tactiles. I'll post pictures of the assembly tomorrow and look forward to reporting back as to if it's really "all that".