Boyerm35

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationShepherdstown, WV

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:29 AM

5fullsidelarge.jpg

Hello, thank you for checking out my "How to" on building my simrig! I have attached zip files for you to download that have all the information needed for every single piece to build the rig, along with plans, sections, and elevations with some dimensions for reference. I will try to explain how I chose to go about assembling it below.

- Attachments are at the bottom of this post, after the pictures.

**** I strongly encourage you to take time and familiarize yourself with all of the information given before you begin construction. ****

A few pieces of the build will require you to take some of your own dimensions to have it work best with all of your equipment. Refer to the "Piece Tickets.pdf".

- For example, you will need to take specific dimensions of the monitor you decide to use. These will be very important in determining where the cutouts will be located for the monitor and front speakers, and how large they will need to be. 

**** If you have any questions about anything or see that I have left out something needed to build the rig, please send me a message or reply to this topic and I will do my best to explain anything you need. I would suggest that you reply to this topic, that way if anyone else has the same question they can get an answer just by following the posts.

If you decide to build my rig, I would greatly appreciate it if you could add a picture of your finished build to this topic. I am very interested to see how you will make it your own, and if you decide to make any modifications to it. Feel free to change anything you would like about the build, I have only given information for how to build my rig exactly.

- If you would like to play computer games on it, I currently do  not have it designed with that in mind. If you wanted to though, a simple solution would be to put your computer inside the large panel that you use to access the back of the monitor & front speakers, Depending on how large the monitor is you use, it should be able to fit inside well. I would suggest that your computer has a good cooling system in it though, because it could get quite warm being enclosed in a small area. 

Key things to pay attention to:

1. All of my dimensions given are based on using 5/8" thick wood. If you use any thickness other than 5/8", many dimensions will be slightly off which will cause problems with pieces lining up correctly. If you use a different thickness of wood, you will need to add/subtract the difference it makes in all pieces that would be affected.

2. I used a 32" LG monitor. I would assume you could go up to a 36", but I have not verified that, and it would still depend on the overall dimensions of the monitor, and front speakers. You will need to reference dimensions given and make sure the monitor and speakers you choose will fit inside the designated areas for them.

3. Plan out ahead of time how you plan to finish the rig off. Whether you decide to add material, paint it, stain it, etc. You should figure that out before assembling the pieces so you know how hard it will be to finish off once fully built, or how much prep work you will need to do before assembling.

4. The plans I have designed were for my own personal preference, using a Fanatec CSR Elite wheel, Fanatec CSR Elite Pedals, and Fanatec CSR Shifter Set. Please review the dimensions given and figure out if they will work well with your equipment of choice, and personal preferences. Certain dimensions were not provided (such as location of the seat, etc.) because you should determine that for where you would like it yourself. 

5. I have not provided information on how to attach all of the pieces together, I used screws.

- First I drilled a pilot hole, then recessed it some so when I drilled in the screw, it would not stick out from the wood. I also did not use any backup support to drill into, I just lined the pieces up and drilled directly into the ends. If you do this as well, make sure you are very careful when drilling your pilot holes and make sure you are going through the wood as close as possible to the center of the 5/8" thickness. If you are off by too much, the screw will end up coming through the side of a piece, or cause the wood to split and not hold the screw in place. If you choose to add extra wood backing so you have a wider area to drill into, you should be able to cut small pieces from the left over 4' x 8' sheets of wood.

*** Plan out what you will do before starting construction.

6. IMPORTANT: I did not build this rig with plans for it to be easily taken apart or transported. When fully built it is too large to fit through typical doorways. Make sure that where you build it is where you are going to plan on keeping it, because you will not be able to get it out of its location unless it is disassembled. 

7. You will probably want to run all the wiring for the speakers before you close in certain areas of the rig. Once it is fully assembled, it will be difficult to run certain wiring, such as the rear left surround speaker. I also would encourage you to make sure you use something to hold the wiring in place in certain areas, so if you disconnect a wire it can't fall down through a hole pass through, and be near impossible to get back out. 

8. (I will add more to the list as I think of them, or are brought to my attention)

I hope I have given enough information for you to complete the build as easily as possible. Some of my ticketing for the pieces and layout may be confusing though. I tried to fit everything including the dimensions onto the size of a typical sheet of paper so you can print them out and follow along without needing a computer by your side the entire time you are laying out and cutting the pieces.

- Please print out all of the tickets, and use a highlighter to check off dimensions and pieces as you know they have been drawn and then cut. 

Thank you very much for your interest in my rig, and building it for yourself. I became inspired to build/design this rig from seeing other peoples amazing creations on this site, and I hope that I have been able to inspire you in some way to build your own rig. It really is rewarding and almost as fun as actually racing in it once you're done the build....almost. Ha.

Happy Racing!!!

Material required for build:

(8) ---- Sheets of 8' x 4' x 5/8" wood.

(8) ---- Hinges for door panels. 

(5) ---- Knobs/Door pulls for door panels.

(1,000,000...jk) ---- Screws.

Recommended tools:

- Circular Saw

- Jigsaw

- Drill

- Sander

- Measuring Tape

- Level

- Router (for recessing holes on shifter mount)

****Please download all attachments. They are all required in order to have all information needed to cut the pieces, and build the rig. Good luck!

STEP 1: BASE - P-14, (2) P-15

Hold P-15 pieces 5/8" in from the edges of piece P-14

1mediumph.jpg

STEP 2: BASE - (3) P-16

2mediumq.jpg

STEP 3: LEFT SIDE (BOTTOM) - P-1, P-2, P-3, P-4, P-5, P-6, (1) P-7, (1) P-8, (1) P-9

27medium.jpg

28mediuma.jpg

STEP 4: RIGHT SIDE (BOTTOM) - (1) P-7. (1) P-8, (1) P-9, P-10, P-11, P-12, P-13

I placed the amp for my transducer on piece P-10. If you choose to use an amp with transducer, this is where I would recommend you also placing the amp as it is easy to reach with your right hand. Dimensions and cutouts will need to be taken for your personal placement. You will also need to have a cutout somewhere near the rear of piece P-10 for the speaker wire to run though, to the transducer located under your seat.

29medium.jpg

30mediumu.jpg

STEP 5: ATTACH SIDES TO BOTTOM

3mediumd.jpg

4mediumc.jpg

STEP 6: MONITOR STAND & SIDE SUPPORTS - P-17, P-18, (2) P-19, (2) P-41

Pieces P-18 and (2) P-19 can be modified depending on how you choose to support your monitor. If you extend them to the back of piece P-17, and widen piece P-18, you can probably place a computer on it as well as the monitor. 

5mediuma.jpg

6mediumv.jpg

STEP 7: MONITOR PANEL - P-20, (2) P-21, (2) P-22

Attach pieces (2) P-21 & (2) P-22 to piece P-20 before installing piece P-20. All cutouts on P-20 will need to be determined by you based on monitor size & speaker choice. Piece sizes for (2) P-21 & (2) P-22 will be determined by monitor cutout on P-20.

7mediumt.jpg

8medium.jpg

STEP 8: FRONT SPEAKER STANDS - (4) P-42, (2) P-43

Dimensions will need to be taken. Heights and widths depend on your monitor and speaker choice, and cutout locations on piece P-20.

9mediumu.jpg

STEP 9: SIDES (TOP) - P-32, P-33

10medium.jpg

11mediumh.jpg

STEP 10: CEILING, CENTER CHANNEL & LIGHT OPENING - P-23, (2) P-24, (2) P-25, P-26, P-27, (2) P-28

Attach all pieces needed to piece P-23 before installing P-23. Verify ahead of time that your center channel speaker will fit on the base designed to hold it.

12mediumv.jpg

13mediuml.jpg

STEP 11: DIVIDERS - (2) P-29, P-30, P-31

14medium.jpg

15medium.jpg

STEP 12: BACK PANEL W DOORS - P-37, (2) P-38

Hinges required to attach pieces P-38.

16mediumg.jpg

STEP 13: FRONT PANEL W DOORS - P-34, P-35, P-36

Hinges required to attach pieces P-35 & P-36. The opening at the bottom left of piece P-34 is where I have the surge protector located. All electronics should be plugged into it, then you can run just the one power cord from the surge protector out to a wall outlet. 

17medium.jpg

STEP 14: ROOF W DOOR - P-39, P-40

Hinges required to attach piece P-40.

19medium.jpg

18mediums.jpg

STEP 15: REVERSE MOUNT PEDAL STAND - (2) P-44, P-45, P-46, P-47

Stand is optional

20medium.jpg

21medium.jpg

STEP 16: BASE FOR SEAT - (2) P-54, (2) P-55

Location and height should be determined by you.

22medium.jpg

23mediumc.jpg

STEP 17: MOUNT FOR SHIFTERS - (2) P-48, P-49, P-50, P-51, P-52, P-53

Shifter Mount is optional. Cutting the metal rods that were included with your Fanatec CSR Shifter Set will be required. The length of the metal rods, and depth/specific location of the recessed holes in the wood will need to be determined by you. If you choose to use a different shifter other than the Fanatec CSR Shifter Set, this mount will not work.

24medium.jpg

FINISHED!

25medium.jpg

SIMRIG "EXPLODED" VIEW

26medium.jpg

****Please download all attachments. They are all required in order to have all information needed to cut the pieces, and build the rig. Good luck! The most important attachments are the "Layout Tickets" & "Piece Tickets"

Attached Files

• FearWhat and Tucker 73 like this

#2 Shaun Cole

Shaun Cole

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationSpokane Valley, Washington

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:17 AM

That is really awesome and very detailed.  If I had the time and space I think I would go for this myself.  We really want an arcade style racer.

• Boyerm35 likes this

#3 clevohead

clevohead

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

That is really awesome and very detailed.  If I had the time and space I think I would go for this myself.  We really want an arcade style racer.

Would love to isr take this on as their next build episode ;)

What do you guys think?

• FearWhat and Boyerm35 like this

#4 Boyerm35

Boyerm35

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

Thank you very much Shaun!

I'm interested to see if anyone tries to build my rig, and I'm excited to see what changes/mods people will make to it. I would love to see if someone were to take the time to make it easy to take apart in two or three key sections that could fit through doorways. I thought about it when I initially designed it but then became impatient and just wanted to start building! I'd also love to see people work in computer parts like working tachometers, button boxes, etc. I guess I hope someone attempts to build my rig in general! Ha!

Congratulations on everything you and Darin did throughout 2012, I'm looking forward to the show in 2013. The "Year End Recap Show" was a great end to a great year in sim racing. Keep up all the great work!

#5 clevohead

clevohead

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

I am definitely downloading the plans and putting them aside for a later date, will get Dragula done and dusted before I drop this bomb on the missus :D

#6 Tucker 73

Tucker 73

iRacing: Paul Tucker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationBlighty

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

:eek: very understanding partners you guys must have, this is the reaction i would get.. :eek: ..followed by.. :shock: ...and then.. :mad:

photo_3hgf.jpg d4.jpg photogfd.jpg

#7 Boyerm35

Boyerm35

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

I am definitely downloading the plans and putting them aside for a later date, will get Dragula done and dusted before I drop this bomb on the missus :D

Haha, awesome man. I'm all about the DIY's. Hopefully she won't give you too much of a hard time about it. I just set up a computer with triple screens and I've already explained to my wife that I will be buying a DIY motion kit from http://simxperience....tarterKits.aspx at some point in time....she was cool with it.  :mrgreen: I'm a very lucky man.

Don't forget, whenever you end up building my rig, feel free to ask me anything you want. I want to help make the build as easy and enjoyable as possible for everyone. Thanks for the interest in my rig and good luck on your Dragula build!

#8 Boyerm35

Boyerm35

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

:eek: very understanding partners you guys must have, this is the reaction i would get.. :eek: ..followed by.. :shock: ...and then.. :mad:

Hahahahahahaha. My wife is quite understanding. I hope you get a different reaction, but I can also understand why she wouldn't be too happy also. Good luck!

#9 Tucker 73

Tucker 73

iRacing: Paul Tucker

• Members
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationBlighty

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

Hahahahahahaha. My wife is quite understanding. I hope you get a different reaction, but I can also understand why she wouldn't be too happy also. Good luck!

brilliant construction, you need to do a 70's style arcade art design on that, and a hydrolic door, star trek style with the hisssss noise, amazing

photo_3hgf.jpg d4.jpg photogfd.jpg

#10 mjmueller

mjmueller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

Thanks a Ton!!   :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

I will be starting mine here within the next month or so.  I will post pictures & questions whenever I have them.  I will be planning on painting mine Black, but don't have any plans for finishing the interior.  Any suggestions?

I also have to get a seat, I was going to stop at the local salvage yard, any suggestions here also?, is everything I find going to have the proper mounting brackets?

Regards,

Michael

#11 Boyerm35

Boyerm35

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

brilliant construction, you need to do a 70's style arcade art design on that, and a hydrolic door, star trek style with the hisssss noise, amazing

Thank you very much. I do have plans for installing a door that will be able to slide open and close with the push of a button, from outside or inside the cockpit. I just need to learn a little bit more about how to do it first. I did get some good help while in the ISR chat room from JogoAsobi & PaulPridhamRacing a few weeks ago, and I will more than likely be contacting them when I decide to actually install the door. Thanks once again for the kind words. 

#12 Boyerm35

Boyerm35

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

Thanks a Ton!!   :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

I will be starting mine here within the next month or so.  I will post pictures & questions whenever I have them.  I will be planning on painting mine Black, but don't have any plans for finishing the interior.  Any suggestions?

I also have to get a seat, I was going to stop at the local salvage yard, any suggestions here also?, is everything I find going to have the proper mounting brackets?

Regards,

Michael

FANTASTIC! I'm very happy you will be building my rig and I can't wait to see how it turns out. 

My plans to finish off my rig are to wrap 1/4" panels with faux black leather for the interior, with stained wood accents (speaker covers, shifter area, etc.) The exterior I am planning on just covering in a light grey felt material (cheap, haha), and finishing off all of the edges/corners with a small 1" x 1" L shaped moulding that will be stained the same as the accents on the interior. I also have something extra planned for displaying my InsideSimRacing sticker for being honored as a Simrig of the Week. 

My only suggestions for finishing off the rig are what I said in the planning stages above....plan ahead lol. I didn't, and now that's why I have to make all these panels below to wrap, as opposed to wrapping the pieces before assembling the rig. I would say if you are painting it, just make sure if you use plywood like me that you sand it down as smooth as possible so you have a nice even surface, and spackle and sand over all the edges and screw holes. All of the woods blemishes will show up under the paint if you do not prep the wood properly first. 

These are the panels I have cut that I will wrap in the faux leather. The rectangles at the bottom are the speaker covers that I will stain and then apply speaker mesh to the backs of...

20130103114114.jpg

This is the faux leather I have...

20130103114202.jpg

The seat:

I'm probably not the best here for advice on what seat to get, someone else on here would probably know more about mounting it and if a specific seat will need specific brackets. The seat I chose is here, http://www.amazon.co...ils_o02_s00_i00 , but I see it is no longer available, it was $120. I didn't need any mounting brackets since it was not being installed into an actual car. I was able to just drill through holes on the sliders it has, directly into my wood base for it. I'm just not sure if every seat is as easy to install as this one was, this is the only car seat I have ever "installed" or worked with. 

Best of luck with everything! Contact me anytime you would like if you have anymore questions or comments. Thanks!

#13 Boyerm35

Boyerm35

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

108 ticket downloads and no attempted builds yet? Ha, I've been hoping to see at least someone attempt it. Well, happy racing & building to all! Thanks for checking out the plans!

If you happen to create your own rig or want any help with designing one, please feel free to send me a message/email sometime. Thanks!

#14 Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

"Gunstar"

• Members
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

If I was to build one of those cockpits, I would have to paint it up to look like a 1980's Pole Position cockpit...

1181242151134.jpg

...or...

11812421527.gif

Oh yeah, that'd be sweeet.

My Racing Rig - T500RS w/GT Rim + DSD/320mm Rim, F1 Rim, TX458 Rim, TH8RS, T500 pedals w/Basher Mod, obutto oZone & 32" Triples... See it here: http://insidesimraci...lution-updated/

#15 Boyerm35

Boyerm35

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

If I was to build one of those cockpits, I would have to paint it up to look like a 1980's Pole Position cockpit...

1181242151134.jpg

...or...

11812421527.gif

Oh yeah, that'd be sweeet.

Classic. 

I had always thought it would be neat to make one similar to "Hard Drivin'" too, only use two real front wheels for the outside to look like an actual car. 

• FearWhat likes this

#16 Boyerm35

Boyerm35

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

...or Rad Mobile

Attached Files

#17 superspeeder2013

superspeeder2013

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

That is sweet. I admire anyone that can build stuff like that, I don't know the first thing about wood working. I wish I could build my own rig but ah well. Enjoy I, it reminds me of the arcades I used to play as a kid.

#18 Boyerm35

Boyerm35

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:09 AM

That is sweet. I admire anyone that can build stuff like that, I don't know the first thing about wood working. I wish I could build my own rig but ah well. Enjoy I, it reminds me of the arcades I used to play as a kid.

Thank you very much for the kind words. 

I can say that I really don't know much about wood working myself, haha. I just enjoy building and I go about it my way. I'm sure if an actual skilled woodworker/carpenter saw my work they would probably faint from the way i go about it. I'm sure you could build your own rig if you tried. Heck to build my rig you really only need a circular saw/jigsaw, and a drill. haha. 

Thanks again. 

#19 JPM

JPM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

Would be interesting to see some sort of wrap around screen in there. I have to believe that with a door, triple monitors or a screen that the immersion would be as good as it can get without a full motion simulator. Does the wood enclosure transfer the sound from your speakers around the rig?

#20 Boyerm35

Boyerm35

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

Would be interesting to see some sort of wrap around screen in there. I have to believe that with a door, triple monitors or a screen that the immersion would be as good as it can get without a full motion simulator. Does the wood enclosure transfer the sound from your speakers around the rig?

Hey,

if I could build whatever I wanted without a budget, I would definitely do a curved screen with three projectors...(drooling)... If any kind people on the insidesimracing forums would like to donate old equipment to me I would gladly accept and thank you very much. :D  Ahh jk jk. I do plan on building a triple screen, enclosed, motion rig sometime in the not too distant future. At the moment I've been fighting with myself to just go ahead and hit "check out" button on simxperience.com. That's the first major step. 

I'm not 100% sure what you mean about the question with the wood enclosure transferring the sound around the rig, could you be a little more specific? I can say that it is very loud if you want it to be, and the wood doesn't create any odd vibrations or reverb (I think that might be what you're asking about?). If I were to turn the volume the entire way up, I'm pretty sure I would go deaf after a few seconds. The hardest part seems to be adjusting music in between racing, and the menu screens. I like to have it very loud while racing, but then once the race is over the menu is overbearing. I don't understand why more games don't have options to be able to adjust in game sound versus menu sound. 

Thanks for the interest in my build.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: How to, DIY, Enclosed, Rig, Simrig, Build, Plans, Cockpit, Boyerm35, Racing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users