12 replies to this topic

#1 jpyott

jpyott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

Darin - I watched from beginning to end and your consistency paid off in spades... hats off to you Darin.

Compared your stat's .. Fascinating how close your numbers are.

Question... what wheels and pedals did you use?

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenHunter_11 Feb. 18 12.11.jpg
  • ScreenHunter_10 Feb. 18 12.11.jpg

#2 maddux3us

maddux3us

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

Congrats to Both of you SRT/ISR on top. How did you do it??

#3 Shaun Cole

Shaun Cole

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationSpokane Valley, Washington

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

Thank you for the congratulations. It was a wonderful race, had a great time. Darin and I seem to always be within a tenth of a second or two apart. This has been the case for many years.

Darin ran a Thrustmaster T500 with Ferrari Wheel and Clubsport pedals.

I ran a ARC modified G27 with The ARC brake on the G27 pedals.

#4 Darin Gangi

Darin Gangi

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 3,468 posts
  • LocationSpokane Valley, WA

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

Hey thanks ! Probably my best sim racing accomplishment to date.. Congrats to Shaun.. I can't believe we both won our races.. We finished 2nd and 1st in the roar before the 2.4 last night too !

How did you watch the race ? Did you do it as a spectator on iRacing ?

I have to thank James Wykoff who I got a setup from a few days ago in a practice room.. That setup was a rocket !!

#5 jpyott

jpyott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

@Darin.. I couldn't run due to family time, so I spectated with my 3 & 5 yr old. They love to watch Daddy race and have a blast pretending they are driving my replays. Except this time we all were pretending :-)
I couldn't help but be impressed with your showing today. Making it through the traffic and even watching you recover a few that would have been just gone had the wheel been in my hands. Can't wait till I find some free time to go visit your playground (Studio).

@Shaun.. Thanks for the Hardware Info; I was happy to see you used a G27, since that's what I have. My only mod is Perfect Pedal for Brake.

#6 maddux3us

maddux3us

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:27 AM

Darin I also gotten his setup in the practice I was in. Great Setup. Shaun and Darin what kind of times were you guys running??

#7 cleverleyson

cleverleyson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:35 AM

Congrats to you both! :D looked like an awesome race!

#8 Ron3

Ron3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:18 AM

Hi Folks ...

Since I am relatively new (less than 6 months) to Simm Racing and am not sure of the "etiquette" I am not sure this is a legitimate question ... but you folks mention a setup that was killer and I was wondering if you are able to publish that with some explanation about it e.g. why it is good and what led to or are the determining factors that make it good ... I ask this because I don’t have a freaking clue about tuning in iRacing and any information about your killer setup would be helpful ...

Thanks
Ron

#9 John G. Hill

John G. Hill

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

I ran the same setup, and I gained two seconds from what I was using before. I don't have it in front of me now, but as I remember the front springs and shocks were much stiffer than the average setups we were using before. This allowed me to brake in a very linear fashion going into to T1, and the big left handed sweeper infield. If you study the fast setups long enough you begin to see what works and what doesn't. Virtually all the corners at Daytona (except for the obvious banking) are flat, so you needed a suspension to deal with that. It's all a learning curve, nobody gets it right away.

#10 Darin Gangi

Darin Gangi

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 3,468 posts
  • LocationSpokane Valley, WA

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

I'd post the setup here myself, but I never post someone's work.. It may be in the forums on iRacing.. I just lucked out and happened to be in the server with James when he shared it.. I made a few tweaks to it myself in tire pressures and gearing..

I don't know what made it good.. Im a wheel man, not a tuner unfortunately.. hehe.. I've never been able to make my own setup from scratch, I think mainly because I don't know what each component does and how it interacts with the other components in the suspension.. For gearing, I can always get the job done.. Tire pressures too.. Shocks, Springs, caster and toe are the things that scare me. I understand the basics, but when it comes to shock tuning, especially on ovals, Im lost.

#11 Ron3

Ron3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

Ok Guys ... Thanks ... I will dig through the iRacing area and see if I can find it ... and Gratz on your wins Shaun & Darin !!!

#12 jpyott

jpyott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:25 AM

The way I see it.... if you made changes, it's no longer the original owners work.. :twisted:

I'll take a Darin Mod any day ;)

If that's still a gray area.. how about some screen shots of the setup artwork? We'll just have to manually enter it :-)

... seriously who can you blame us for trying?

#13 Steff

Steff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

Congrats Darin & Shaun to your results :)

Very nice to se videos of you driving now in the last episode of insidesim....

I hope everybody in here will have a nice weekend and hope you get som beers 8-)

//Steff
Sorry for my bad english :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users