#1 lopsided

lopsided

Bailey Lagstrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

Hi Guys, I thought I'd post my rig too. I had a Playseat for about 4 years but recently upgraded to the rSeat. I had been dragging it out of the corner and setting it in front of the big screen UNTIL ...someone here suggest I try a PC Sim. Well, that did it. Seriously, bye bye PS3. Had to make a dedicated desktop for it, then a monitor screen, had to have some extra buttons and now it's parked!

Hubby is the welder and made the extra's for me, I was merely the R, he was the D haha.
What he made for me:
- The monitor stand, it has adjustable height/distance and tilt. It's also made to upgrade as the small top piece will come off and he can add the add'tl VESA mounts when I get there. It's made with a substantial (wide) base on it which slides nicely under the pedal box for stability. I had seen the first (they're redesigning now apparently) rSeat monitor stands and they put the screen at the end of the pedal platform. Too far for me personally so I gave hubby the wish list.
- The button box is attached using a RAM mount which bolts to a platform that is bolted to the chairs framing. No mod's to the chair. It simply provides a horizontal platform to bolt the RAM mount to.
- Pedal box, it serves two purposes, one was to conceal the wiring (I've got cord critters here) but most importantly it stabilizes the pedal plate so I can STOMP on it! yee-ha
- He also made me an add on side table which utilizes the square bar that rSeat has put on both sides of the chair so users can pick which side they want their shifter on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Box conceals cords and adds stability to pedal plate.

Posted Image

I replaced the original rSeat cushions with the seat pad from a Playseats EVO ($25). Much better, as my bum could not take it even after adding more padding.

Posted Image

Home made monitor stand, oooo, pretty shoes!
Posted Image

Top view of homemade mount for RAM mount.
Posted Image

Button box mounting platform.
Posted Image

Upgraded to triples and added DS sequential shifter.
Posted Image

That's it for now. If I believe everything Old Timer says upgrades are a given.

EDIT: Adding some review/thoughts on the chair itself.

My Thoughts On The Chair

I got my rSeat V3 right before Christmas so I've had two months to use it now.

I know most of you have probably seen reviews and are probably very familiar with it's features so I'll skip that and just give you some information that I think would be most helpful to those considering the chair.

Because the chair is quite adjustable, looks beautiful and is well made I would say it comes down to comfort. Unfortunately I found the padding too be sorely lacking. My first attempt to improve it was to add padding to the cushion (their covers close using velcro) so that's an easy mod. While this was a little better, evenings where I spent a couple of hours in the chair had me reaching for a pillow. Next I removed their cushion and replaced it with one made for the Playseat, they're available thru eBay and Amazon. As you can see in my photos this is difficult to detect as it is a close match. I did have to change the pitch of the chair after replacing it however. 4 bolts mount the chair to the frame and you have options to set the angle/pitch of the chair when bolting up.

Apart from the lack of cushioning in the chair I think the most import piece of information I could offer potential buyers is the fit of the chair. I can not imagine big guys (or girls) being comfortable in this chair. I'm not a small girl, meaning I'm 6 foot and have an athletic build. It fits me, but just! (Talking about the actual chair here ...adjusting for my height is no problem). My husband who is stocky, 235lbs does not find the chair comfortable because the chairs "wings" where your thighs rest are snug against his legs. My brother who is 6' 1" 285 lbs (ex-football player) simply could not get in to the chair. And I had no intention of letting him break my toy. lol.

Because of the chairs racing, "bucket" style, entering and exiting the chair requires a little more effort than my Playseat. There's no need to pretend like this would be difficult for a young guy (or girl) to pop in and out, but let's remember, some of us are no longer young ...nor do we "pop" as easily as we once did. :)
This is not a negative comment about the chair however, it is important that potential buyers to realize this ...it's a race styled chair. You grip the sides and push yourself up ...we could say it adds to the immersion haha, however, if you had moderate back problems this could create a problem. We've all seen how drivers enter and exit a car, it requires a little flexibility.

Did any of that sound negative? Well it shouldn't have because I am merely commenting on the type and fit of chair. One size does not fit all and that's important for others to know.

Final Thoughts
I like this chair, a lot. It has so many of the features I wanted and looks good to. I particularly like the fact that I feel vibration (feedback) in the pedals when I'm driving. Not sure why it's being transfered from the wheel to my feet, whether thru the frame or the box I've added beneath stabilizing the pedal plate, but I like it.
Would I like a different seat? Probably. Only because I'm older and would like my brother and others to be able to sit in it. But that's not a defect any more than me falling on my face while wearing high heels would be the fault of the shoes!!
  • racelion and AlfredoTof like this

#2 neverender158

neverender158

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

That is an amazing setup you have there! I am totally jealous. Congrats on the rig.
  • racelion and Porsche95 like this

2old2race @ http://www.2old2play.com

rFactor / rFactor2 / Race07 / Dirt3 / GTR 2

#3 Mayaman

Mayaman

Guru Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

Daddy like :)

#4 Francis Clark

Francis Clark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

Me like too great job

#5 Smudge

Smudge

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales, UK

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:03 AM

Nice rig there!!!

One question - the coloured labels on your button box, where/how did u do that? I have a label machine but on black on white. I'm looking for different colours for different games!!!

Thanks
Smudge

#6 Old Timer

Old Timer

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:47 AM

Hello lopsided,
Nice rig set up...have you tried your TH8 in sequential mode yet (changing the face plates over)...I have changed mine over and it is amazing how much more of a racing feeling it gives you, plus it allows for faster shifting, I use it probably 90% of the time now....but I did like the H pattern shifter as well for the old school cars...so I purchased 2 of them, 1 set up as a H pattern and 1 set up in sequential...some more food for thought...lol.
They both can be set up in the Race Injection settings with no problems at all so you can switch between them.
Nice button box also, what have you assigned to the lighted push button?

kind regards
Old Timer

PS nice photos by the way, clean and sharp, almost looks like photographic studio lighting...what camera did you use?
  • racelion likes this

#7 lopsided

lopsided

Bailey Lagstrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:24 AM

Nice rig there!!!
One question - the coloured labels on your button box, where/how did u do that? I have a label machine but on black on white. I'm looking for different colours for different games!!!
Thanks
Smudge

About The Labels

Hey Smudge, Well that came by some trial and error. I wanted clear, crisp, no need to put your biofocals on labels! I also knew I'd be changing them out as I found a more necessary function and made better choices.

I used Photoshop (though I know you don't need that), made two size boxes as the spacing is closer on some buttons than others. You might as well start with simply printing out the boxes to see if you've got the size right before going any further.

Pick your color (notice mine matches the buttons in the middle, visual clues help me). Now here's where Photoshop (or at the least software that offers Layers helps), pick your words, place them on a separate layer and in the future, you can print new one's in a breeze simply by changing the word or color of the box.

I'll also mention that in Photoshop I positioned the boxes so they were all left aligned to the edge of the paper, this allowed me to use a rotary paper trimmer instead of scissors for the most part. Zip, zip and I've cut a nice straight line.

Then I used rubber cement to adhere. This is also very helpful. First it allows you to slide it around a bit to position it (like a water decal) plus, it can be removed and the residue rolled up like a, like a...well, gooey thing haha. Also, whatever ooze out you have, let it dry, roll it up like a gooey thing and it comes off clean even it you were to get it practically everywhere.
  • racelion likes this

#8 lopsided

lopsided

Bailey Lagstrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:43 AM

Old Timer ...

Shifter

I do use the H shifter quite a bit, mainly on touring cars, mini's, pretty much cars that go slow and would have a H shifter in real life. I love it. When learning a new track I always take it in the slow cars to get it memorized.

I had to have the button box where I had to have it, otherwise, I would have a mount near the same spot and used it as a Sequential when doing rally etc. as I like the feature, just wish it was a little quicker swap out. I understand why you have two, in fact, I could see myself rigging two and using one as the e-brake to pull back on but as I will never be a master of all disciplines I must narrow my focus in hopes of being an above average stumbler in some. haha

Blue Button

The lighted Blue Button. Oh boy, it's purpose is mainly to be pretty. Haven't you figured out girls like pretty. Pretty shoes, pretty blue computer lights, pretty blue button box light! The covered toggle is the ignition, the blue button is the starter. NOW, the truth is, I sometimes disable that because, not that you ever go in the gravel, but I do and when you stall it JOY! It is a royal pain and you can instantly go from hero to zero while trying to restart manually. That kind of realism is reserved for days that I think that is fun ...that is not every day however!! (On a side note, after I adjusted throttle sensitivity that stopped being a huge problem as I could never figure out why it was stalling.)

Camera

Rebel T1i, Speedlite 430ex. It was very dark so they did come out much better than I thought they would. I'm no camera expert though, just needed features of a DSLR for my work.

#9 CaTaPulT

CaTaPulT

I Hope I know jack.... I AM Jack!

• Members
  • 2,278 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta, Canada

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:57 AM

Hi Lopsided.
Your rig looks great and hubby did a great job with the mods you needed.
You may want that center monitor just a little closer than it is when you go triple screens, this way the side monitors will envelope you. :)
Great looking rig, great placement of components, enjoy. :)
Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<
Follow your dreams.... just not the one about being naked at work. :smile:

#10 lopsided

lopsided

Bailey Lagstrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

Smudge, Here's a picture of what I was explaining. BTW, if you have Photoshop and use this same button box I am happy to email you my template, save you some time, you just change the words and color to suit.

Posted Image
  • racelion likes this

#11 Smudge

Smudge

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales, UK

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

Yes that would be ace - never thought of that doh!!!!!!!

smudgster_@me.com (drop the _ ;))
  • racelion likes this

#12 djpatrick35

djpatrick35

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL USA

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:23 PM

That is a really great setup! Nice job!
Fanatec CSR, CSR Elite Pedals, CSR Elite Shifter
GTR GT Simulator
Buttkicker Gamer
Corvette Seat

#13 left888

left888

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMedicine Hat, Alberta

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:14 AM

Sweet rig, that is one sweet ride. I too used Photoshop for my custom labels. I purchased white labels with adhesive backs so just needed to cut and place. The biggest advancement to my rig is triple 55" monitors. At 13 feet across it is amazing. Get 3 monitors and it will improve your racecraft immensely. If you would like any of my Photoshop labels I will post them for you. Here is a photo of my button box. BTW I also use the Ram mounts for my button box and shift light, they work great don't they?

buttonbox.jpg
|i7 960@3.20Ghz|6 Gigs Ram|WIN 7 64bit|2 GeForce SLI|GTX670|Sam Maxwell Momo Mod 26C Wheel|DSD Track Boss Button Box|
|3 LCD HDTV55"@5670x1080|Custom ZALEM Frame|Thrustmaster T500 with reverse mounted Fanatec Club Sport Pedals|DSD Pro Sequential Shifter|

Check out my rig HERE
darrenmckenna.com

#14 lopsided

lopsided

Bailey Lagstrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

BTW I also use the Ram mounts for my button box and shift light, they work great don't they?

The RAM mount certainly made it easy. I used an Arkon dashboard mount for the iPod Touch and use the Sin:Speed app.
Am keeping my eyes open for a deal on two more monitors but don't want any larger than I have.
I used quite a few colors on my button box as it catches my eye and gives helpful visual clues, did not care for white/black labeling.

#15 neverender158

neverender158

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:10 AM

The biggest advancement to my rig is triple 55" monitors. At 13 feet across it is amazing.

GOOD LORD!!! We have to see pix of this setup, please!!!!!!

2old2race @ http://www.2old2play.com

rFactor / rFactor2 / Race07 / Dirt3 / GTR 2

#16 lopsided

lopsided

Bailey Lagstrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:37 PM

Oh NO! Newegg put my monitors on sale ............aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh! :)
Um, honey ....

#17 soldierguy

soldierguy

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationCalif

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:27 PM

Hey lopsided

Enjoyed your sharing the new rig..looks great. I'm just now looking to put together a new rig and something like you're doing is helpful. Good luck with the 3 screens. I've got'em and about the same size
as yours..maybe a little smaller. It'll spoil ya.

Tom

iRacing Tom Ewing2

#18 lopsided

lopsided

Bailey Lagstrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

Got an email from US rSeat, they sent me a 10% off promo (good til 4/15) SpringPromo10OFF
Just in case anyone out there is about to pull the trigger.

I've got my monitors and hubby will begin working on the triple mount soon! :)

#19 Darin Gangi

Darin Gangi

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 3,475 posts
  • LocationSpokane Valley, WA

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

Got an email from US rSeat, they sent me a 10% off promo (good til 4/15) SpringPromo10OFF
Just in case anyone out there is about to pull the trigger.

I've got my monitors and hubby will begin working on the triple mount soon! :)

Now you're in trouble !!

Great pics and looks who's the spoiled one ;-)

#20 CaTaPulT

CaTaPulT

I Hope I know jack.... I AM Jack!

• Members
  • 2,278 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta, Canada

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:29 PM

Now you're in trouble !!

Great pics and looks who's the spoiled one ;-)

Hmmmmm, here's a icon of Lopsided when she tries out triples for the first time.......

:shock:

Nuff said! LOL...... enjoy :)
Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<
Follow your dreams.... just not the one about being naked at work. :smile:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users