Photo

Fanatec CSR Elite vs. CSR: Is it worth the extra $200?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 djpatrick35

djpatrick35

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL USA

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

I'm considering both the Fanatec CSR Elite and standard CSR wheels, yet I'm wondering if the better look and extra motor is worth paying nearly double the money. I'm buying this all at once with a cockpit, but with the Elite and its lack of discount packages from Fanatec, the Elite will push my budget over a grand and that is about $200-$300 more than I originally wanted to spend. Oh, and these are really the only two wheels I'm considering since XBOX 360 compatibility along with all other platforms is the major issue for me.

So, does anyone have both the CSR and CSR Elite and can you compare and contrast the experience? If it's "marginally better" then I'll save my money on the wheel or put more into the cockpit. BUT, if the Elite really is that much better, then I may just have to save up a bit more or sell some stuff around the house to make the purchase.
Fanatec CSR, CSR Elite Pedals, CSR Elite Shifter
GTR GT Simulator
Buttkicker Gamer
Corvette Seat

#2 LoPaN

LoPaN

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

I have them both, my Elite wheel goes back to Fanatec for RMA so I had to go back to my CSR for a while and let me say im missing the Elite bigtime! Its much more accurate and the FFB is worlds apart from the CSR. Going back to the CSR gaming seems so laggy I had to adjust my corners to turn way earlier. Do yourself a favor if you have the funds get the Elite, hopefully you have no issues with it ive seen quite a few people having problems.

#3 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

I have had them both in my hand. I would say if the extra $250 does not put any undo stress on you then go for the CSR Elite. It is worlds apart better in every way over the CSR. I have had my Elite since the 21st of January and it has been trouble free since. I can say for sure, you know where your extra 250 is spent when you get it in your hands.

Blade

#4 BoodyBandit

BoodyBandit

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationYork Pa

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:06 PM

Two totally different animals.
Yes, it's worth it!

#5 PickledGopher

PickledGopher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canada

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:37 AM

I was struggling with the same decision for awhile, read and watched everything I could find on the Elite and just couldn't justify the price.

Now with with the new pricing.. well the Elite is $340 more!! If it was priced at 399... I probably would have bought it.

Without trying either wheel and coming from the MS Wheel and DFGT, I figure the CSR will be a big improvement. I ordered the CSR XL value pack with inversion kit last week and pretty happy with the price. My entire order with shipping to canada is $80 less than the elite wheel before shipping!
I will be mounting the equipment on my new Obutto.

I also considered the Clubsport Wheel coming out soon.. depending on the new tech, rim etc. I may want to upgrade to that down the road at some time. I love Forza, but the PC sims are looking pretty good and I could see myself shifting to playing there more. Possibly my next order, in a year or so, will be for a full Clubsport setup with shifter, handbrake, Pedals 2.0 and the Wheel.

#6 PAPA

PAPA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales UK

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:42 AM

100% yes
Posted Image

I think of you all as friends but if zombies chase us I'm tripping you !

Joke ......... Two cannibals were eating a clown, One says to the other, does this taste funny to you?"

He who dies with the most toys wins..
XBL = FCTAFF

#7 LickitySplit

LickitySplit

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:13 AM

CSRE is way, way, way better.

#8 Raikku

Raikku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:41 AM

Don't know about CSR, but I know that Elite is much better than TurboS, GT3RS or GT2.

#9 TheHawk05

TheHawk05

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

I've owned several Fanatec wheels including the 911 turbo S, CSR and now the CSR Elite. The Elite as others have mentioned is a whole other animal compared to the Porsche/CSR designs......it's vastly better in every way from accuracy, FFB strength and details and build quality. I'll pass along this little story on the CSR vs CSR E debate:

A very good friend of mine was sitting on the fence and considering getting a sim wheel/pedal set to play multi platform. Keep in mind he has never owned any sim gear whatsoever but has used my stuff over the years from my G25, MS Wheel, 911 Turbo S and CSR. He had done lots of lapping using my CSR when he voiced his thoughts on getting the same wheel at some point as he liked it quite a bit. For Xmas I got him the Rennsport stand during the Black Friday deal to get him motivated to jump on the sim wheel wagon. At the time he knew I had a CSR E on preorder and although he thought it "looked" amazing he thought I was nuts to spend that kinda cash on a wheel when he already thought the CSR was expensive.

When I got my CSR E setup and tuned I invited home over to try it out as he was curious to see how it compared to the CSR which he was quite familiar with. He came over and spent about 40 mins driving Forza 4 with my Elite. At this point he hadn't committed to buying any wheel/pedals yet. So what did he think of the CSR E?

He ordered a CSR E and CSPs the next day and he's been playing Forza 4 at least an hour a day since he got it 5 weeks ago.......he constantly raves about how much he loves it and how it's transformed sim game playing

#10 Raikku

Raikku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

About that F4... I can't get it feel "good" at any settings. GT5 is great, especially Nords(don't know why cars feels so much better there), but F4 has not so good feel.

Center is too light, and if I put even +1 spring, it suddenly come way too hard to turn, so I can't get it feeling good. It feels like I don't have connection to front wheels.

#11 PAPA

PAPA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales UK

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

Try 280 sec ffb 100 shc 100 -3 damp - 3 spring seems good to me on f4
Posted Image

I think of you all as friends but if zombies chase us I'm tripping you !

Joke ......... Two cannibals were eating a clown, One says to the other, does this taste funny to you?"

He who dies with the most toys wins..
XBL = FCTAFF

#12 Zero7159

Zero7159

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

I won't repeat what others have said, except to answer the question with an adamant "YES". I have had a CSR wheel since October 2011, and a CSR Elite since December 2011. I can use either wheel at any time, since I have both of them mounted to wheel stands with their own Clubsports and CSR H shifters. The CSR is a good wheel, but the CSR Elite is a whole different level, for the reasons others have already stated.

I use my Elite virtually every day on Xbox 360, PS3 and/or PC, for 1-8 hours, depending on whether its a week day and my wife's tolerance for my sim racing. The only reason I use the CSR is if I am doing Forza 4 multiplayer, and I need chat. My Turtle Beach headset will not provide Forza 4 chat functionality when connected to the CSR Elite, but the Forza 4 chat does work when the headset is connected to the CSR wheel. Otherwise, I only use the Elite. :D :D :D
  • RoadKill likes this

#13 RoadKill

RoadKill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:59 AM

thank you

#14 dj_enzo

dj_enzo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

At this point i'm after reading this i'm regretting ordering the csr over the csr e :cry:

#15 Hugo_Boss

Hugo_Boss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AUS

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:23 AM

man i sorta, partly disagree to the above. I have a CSR for a year, xbox, gt5. And recently have had a CSW w BMW rim for a fortnight, iRacing & GT5. I like the CSR, it feels good, it feels a big step up from xbox wheel and also a step up from G27. I'm looking forward to getting back to it once my CSR is replaced under warranty (broken FFB motor).

Ok yes agree the actual rim on CSR is quite average. CSW BMW is rim is amazing, easily one of its best attributes. 

But, and its a big one, you cannot make use of all the extra FFB of the CSW. yes you can turn it up, yes it is so strong it rips the wheel from your hand. But when it is high, the FFB signal is clipped, so you miss all the subtleties of the feedback. It amplifies the highs but you miss the in betweens.

This is knowledge from quite a few iRacing members on their forums, where they recommend to set the in -game signal around 12 (out of 50 i think). & A little higher for those cars with power steering. The consensus seems to keep the FFB down and then yo pick up more of what the car is doing. If you know otherwise tell me!

So my rationale is, why would i spend the extra money, double almost for a CSW, just to get a wheel i cant turn up really much more than the CSR??  Plus I would worry about damaging/overloading the wheels FFB motor where there quite a few failures listed (but then you always hear the complaints and never the successes online). My CSR FFB motor went recently & i hear the motors of the CSW/elite are the same brand?  

• gregkar likes this

#16 gregkar

gregkar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationAthens

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:00 AM

man i sorta, partly disagree to the above. I have a CSR for a year, xbox, gt5. And recently have had a CSW w BMW rim for a fortnight, iRacing & GT5. I like the CSR, it feels good, it feels a big step up from xbox wheel and also a step up from G27. I'm looking forward to getting back to it once my CSR is replaced under warranty (broken FFB motor).

Ok yes agree the actual rim on CSR is quite average. CSW BMW is rim is amazing, easily one of its best attributes. 

But, and its a big one, you cannot make use of all the extra FFB of the CSW. yes you can turn it up, yes it is so strong it rips the wheel from your hand. But when it is high, the FFB signal is clipped, so you miss all the subtleties of the feedback. It amplifies the highs but you miss the in betweens.

This is knowledge from quite a few iRacing members on their forums, where they recommend to set the in -game signal around 12 (out of 50 i think). & A little higher for those cars with power steering. The consensus seems to keep the FFB down and then yo pick up more of what the car is doing. If you know otherwise tell me!

So my rationale is, why would i spend the extra money, double almost for a CSW, just to get a wheel i cant turn up really much more than the CSR??  Plus I would worry about damaging/overloading the wheels FFB motor where there quite a few failures listed (but then you always hear the complaints and never the successes online). My CSR FFB motor went recently & i hear the motors of the CSW/elite are the same brand?  

in iRacing, in top right corner is the FPS screen, the last letter "F" indicates the FFB you are getting, if it's over green then you are getting more FFB than you should, that means you have to lower the FFB from the settings. I agree totally with you, i bet most of them have wrong FFB settings, CSR Elite and CSW as ONLY to FFB strength is like having a Bugatti veyron in the track, its VERY powerfull but you will never need 1000HP to set the fastest lap time.

Of course CSR E and CSW are a lot better wheels than the CSR, but people should notice that the real reason why they are better is the precision, the looks, the construction, the ability to swap rims etc. not the FFB strength. CSR E is the wheel i would buy now BUT for 600€ without shipping i would rather buy the CSW. It's totally stupid asking 200 for the CSR, 600 (yes, that's 3 times more) for the CSR E, and 630-700 (depending the rim) for CSW, you have either to lower the price on CSR E, or get a lot more expensive price on the CSW. Fanatec has a major problem with it's prices, they are totally wrong. 30€ more to get CSW with formula rim and 100€ more for CSW with BMW rim... CSR E is a GREAT GREAT GREAT wheel but it's 3!!!!! times more expensive than the CSR are 30€ cheaper than the CSW

The RIG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users