43 replies to this topic

#21 flaz

flaz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationBali

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:43 PM

Chewy, did you use some kind of wood filler or primer paint to the mdf? They look so smooth there, great work, can't wait to see how its done after painted
iRacing user name : Fany Lazuardy

#22 YD215

YD215

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maryland

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:01 PM

I have been using my RS1 for about a month now. There are some modifications I made that I thought worked out well. included in the pictures you can see I moved the top platform more forward then what the plan called for. I found out the hard way, you are loosing so much valuable space by using the locations in the template. Also I found steering wheel was low and my knees would touch the mounting deck for the wheel. I had to remove the small 2X4's my seat was mounted to and cut a hole into the rig deck to lower the seat about 2 inches. This rig is very solid but if i had to do it over I would build it out of wood and not MDF. I think I would be able to get a cleaner look with wood. I put the rig on casters so it can be moved around and is very helpful in my space. I drilled a hole under the wheel and ran the wiring under the rig and out the front. I do like the hard mounted petals on it. Very Solid rig though. I still have some detail work to do. I don't think i will build the console because i might purchase the Derek Spear sequential shifter and button box. If you move the top shelf forward I found it gave me more room to mount things like soon a tach and the button box. good luck with the build and post some finished pics when done. http://RicmotechRS1.shutterfly.com/

#23 chewy3939

chewy3939

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

Chewy, did you use some kind of wood filler or primer paint to the mdf? They look so smooth there, great work, can't wait to see how its done after painted

Yes. I used a latex primer for the mdf.
PPOOWWWWWEEERRRR!!!- Jeremy Clarkson

#24 chewy3939

chewy3939

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

Just finished the rig. I have to say the rig is just amazing. The whole thing is rock solid and it looks stunning. I was unsure of the rig at first but now, I love it.The racing position is very comfortable. I had to make some modifications for the whole thing to work. First, I created an angled wheel platform to place on top of the wheel deck out of a 2x6.(See Photos) Second, I created an angled pedal deck(See Photos). I also had to decrease the slant of the wheel deck because I was hitting my knees. I love any feed back from you all. I hope to move from console racing to PC racing soon but its $$$$$$. Once I make the jump I hope to get a button box, tachometer, and the CSR Elite Shifter. Here are photos of the "finished" product. -

#25 dmxgordon

dmxgordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

This is a very nice wood cockpit. I love it!!!
Great job chewy3939!
I am looking to build something like that but in my case, I cannot afford to pay for the plans:(
Is there any free version of the RS1? Or is there any similar cockpit with plans that I can use for free?
I can barely afford to pay fr the wood.

#26 chewy3939

chewy3939

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

This is a very nice wood cockpit. I love it!!!
Great job chewy3939!
I am looking to build something like that but in my case, I cannot afford to pay for the plans:(
Is there any free version of the RS1? Or is there any similar cockpit with plans that I can use for free?
I can barely afford to pay fr the wood.

I tired to look for free plans but I couldn't find any that were the quality of the RS1. MAybe do some more searching.

#27 chewy3939

chewy3939

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:30 AM

I thought I would post a summary of the rig build. So here it is. So it all started when I had a Gamestop gift card and I wanted to buy a wheel for TDU2(Not a SIm).Well as I looked and searched I realized I didn't want anything that Gamestop had. So I began looking and then I found ISR. I then realized I didn't want some cheap wheel. I wanted an all out simulation rig. So then I looked at Thrustmaster, G25, and G27 wheels. But none of them were compatable with Xbox 360, which is where I am starting racing. So then I stumbled across Fanatec Wheels. BINGO! So I decided to get the GT2. But then pedals... so I looked and the best option was the CSR Elite Pedals. So I ordered them they showed up and all I had was NFS and TDU2. So next came games. Obviously, I got Forza 4. Then slowly I got F1 2011 and Dirt 3.Forza still is my favorite. So I was playing those and then I was like, well where do I put the wheel and pedals so I figured since I had a Rigid Fliptop Woodworking Stand, I would use that. So I raced on that for about a month before I decided I NEEDED a rig. So I began searching. I found all sorts of comercial rigs but they were all too expensive. So then I searched for DIY Rigs. I found alot but I didn't love any. Too much time, too much money, or it didn't look good. Until I found the RS1 DIY Sim Rig. I Loved It so I bought plans and began working. I thought it would be a 2 or 3 weekend project. However, It took about 5 months. I encountered problems with my seat, wheel, and pedals, But I Customized the Rig to fit the obstacles. You can see my chronicled work in these fourms above. So now I have plans to customize the rig, carbon fiber perhaps. I also want to move to computer racing, I Racing, but it is a big leap. Considering I would have to buy an I Racing membership and a gaming computer, unless a '11 Macbook Pro would run it, It would be PRICY. And if it did, I would have to buy Windows for it. If I do make the leap, I hope to get a Derek Spears button box, and a nice sequential and H shifter along with a tachometer and wheel mounted display. This is the kind of thing I LOVE to do so although it was expensive, It was worth it.

#28 chewy3939

chewy3939

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:33 PM

I thought I'd post a review of this rig for all who are thinking about building one. So here it is.
Pros
*Sturdy. Doesn't wiggle whatsoever. Rock solid.
*Stylish. The design of the rig means it looks great in any room. It draws the eye and is gorgeous
*Cheap. The rig all in all cost me $125. I got the seat for free though.
*Durable. The rig has no weak points to wear down on which means it will last for a long time.
*Customizable. The rig can be build to be exactly how you like it. No compromises.
*All Around Good Rig. I haven't raced on other rigs, but I don't see how it could be much better.

Cons
* Not Adjustable. Once built the rig cannot be adjusted. However, It can be built how you like it.
*Time Consuming. Since you have to build the rig it takes up time to be done right. You could cut corners but the finished product wouldn't be as quality.
*MDF Is a Pain. Working with MDF to build the rig is a hassle and it dents easily. But paint makes it harder.
*Only Compatible with G25 and G27. If you use any other wheels, you must make additions like I did to accommodate.
*You have to be a handyman/woodworker.
* You must figure out a seat mounting system

Overall, I would say it is a great rig. Very solid. Customizable. Expandable. Really a fantastic rig over all. I love to race with it. Although its time consuming, its a labor of love and you can say you build your rig. And best part is, in the words of Shaun Cole, A DIY Rig is never finished.

#29 dmxgordon

dmxgordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:48 AM

You have to move on to the PC if you are a Sim fan. Beside Forza 4 there really is no other real simulator out there for Xbox. Could take into account Dirt games but Even these (Dirt and Forza) are not 100 % Simulators. Not to mention that F1 2011 is way too far from a realistic feeling.
On the PC, beside I Racing, you have, alot of other great simulators. My favorite, NetKar Pro, is th emost realistig of them all. The force feedback is allowing you to feel the car like no other sim and it's a cheap.

#30 chewy3939

chewy3939

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

I've realized that. Im pretty serious about sim racing so I want to move to PC but it's so much money. Yeah Forza 4 is the only one that feels real to me.

#31 dmxgordon

dmxgordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

Just try NK Pro at a friend with a PC. They have a free Demo version with only one car and one track so you may form an indeea.
And also, you do not need a rocket PC to run it.

P.S. I'm stuck, can I borrow your plans for this rig please?

#32 chewy3939

chewy3939

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:24 AM

So today my friend came by to pick up his rig. But before he left we placed them side by side and had some one on one racing action(I took Pictures). It was awsome! I also took some photos of my old "rig". I posted all of these photos on Flickr-

#33 chewy3939

chewy3939

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

Hey all you guys out there with RS1 DIY Rigs, I'd love to see them. If any of you have made a RS1 post some photos on this fourm.

#34 dmxgordon

dmxgordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

Can you share with us the plans please?

#35 Ricmotech

Ricmotech

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:13 AM

Chewy, your rigs look really good. Nice job on the mods to fit the fanatec gear. If you want sime stickers to dress up the rigs, send me an email.
Posted Image
Click Here to get your set of templates and instructions:
http://www.ricmotech.com/diy

#36 dmxgordon

dmxgordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

"Edited"

I am sorry for asking for your help.
It was a mistake.

#37 dmxgordon

dmxgordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

Can you tell me what's the height and width of your rig please?

http://imageshack.us... ... 2764k.jpg/

Thank you!

#38 Ricmotech

Ricmotech

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

The dimensions you are looking for are listed on the website for the plans. Click on the link in my signature to get there.

I can understand not being able to purchase the plans, but those users that have purchased the plans have agreed to the terms of use which states it is for personal use only and not to be distributed to others. Asking them to violate the agreement is not the right thing to do.

There are several other plans available for free on the web and you can always build one of those or modify them as you please. Or you can always come up with your own design. Thats how the RS1 DIY began.

Frank
Posted Image
Click Here to get your set of templates and instructions:
http://www.ricmotech.com/diy

#39 luciuswillson

luciuswillson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationCorbin, KY

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:35 PM

I want to build this rig but I need to know if I can cram the cst pedals in there? I will build it if they fit. Hopefully Shaun and Darin will talk about other pedal options when they build theirs and if they would fit with minimal alterations.

#40 chewy3939

chewy3939

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

I want to build this rig but I need to know if I can cram the cst pedals in there? I will build it if they fit. Hopefully Shaun and Darin will talk about other pedal options when they build theirs and if they would fit with minimal alterations.

My CSR Elite pedas fit in with room to spare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users