1 reply to this topic

#1 smbrm

smbrm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta, Canada

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:19 PM

Looking for latest thoughts on 3D, in particular as relates to triple screens. 3D adds quite a bit to screen cost. But is 3D really there yet and how well to current rfactor and potentially rfactor2 going to be able provide benefits of 3D to game play? Is triple screen 2d better than large single screen 3D?

Any thoughts on the latest thinking appreciated
cheers

#2 miahallen

miahallen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:33 PM

I've only had the chance to play triple screen 3D once for racing...it was amazing. I've been working on building a setup for myself....but the cost makes it a slow process. Personally, I'd rather have a single large screen for 3D (projector size), but right now there is now way to get 3D 1080p to a large screen due to HDMI v1.4 bandwidth limitations. All the 1080p 3D monitors use dual link DVI connections to get around the HDMI problem.

So big screens are limited to 3D is 720p only. Once displayport becomes a standard (or something else with decent bandwidth) things could change a lot. Right now, the largest 3D 1080p option is a 27" monitor, which is too small for a hardcore sim racer IMO.

I've got a set of the new Sony HMZ-T1 head mounted display units on back-order right now. It is also limited to 720p, but I figure its a decent compromise due to complete lack of cross talk, and very good picture quality. Demand has been much higher that Sony anticipated, so it may be tough to get one until Jan-Mar timeframe.

Water & Wood || Intel Core i7 2600K @ 5.1GHz || 3x GTX 580 tri-SLI || all watercooled
Fanatec CSR Elite Wheel || Fanatec CSR Shift Set || Fanatec Club Sport Pedals

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users