8 replies to this topic

#1 S30Zenzow

S30Zenzow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPorto Alegre Brazil

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:29 PM

Hello guys, I have a G27 and I tried to do Chilicoke's handbrake mod. When I finished doing everything, I tried to touch the wires and the wheel would just reset, so, I decided to take the wires off. When I was about to take the wires off, i accidentally pulled one of the wires and it came off with a piece of the circuit board. I tried to play with the circuit board the way it is and the Dpad doesnt work, the red buttons in the lower part of the shifter don't work and all the gears on the lower part (2nd,4th,6th and reverse) are 2nd gear and all on the upper part (1st, 3rd and 5th) are neutral. Can the board be fixed? Does Logitech sells only the circuit board? Should I set my G27 on fire, throw it out of the window and buy a Fanatec?

Here is the picture of the damaged board:
Posted Image

#2 PAPA

PAPA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales UK

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:31 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum ;)

You could try using Something like this no idea if it will work but I have used something like it to overclock CPUs long ago ;) Search conductive paint.....

http://www.ebay.co.u... ... 1580wt_962

Daz
Posted Image

I think of you all as friends but if zombies chase us I'm tripping you !

Joke ......... Two cannibals were eating a clown, One says to the other, does this taste funny to you?"

He who dies with the most toys wins..
XBL = FCTAFF

#3 SUPERNOVADAVE

SUPERNOVADAVE

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:22 PM

i can see the damage on the board and it is simple to repair.
but first you need to look at the other side of the board to see what was there at that same location.
there must be a resistor or diode that had a pin soldered at that location - you might need to replace it if you broke the pin from it.

Custom Gaming Rig.

Asus Rampage1v Extreme X79 chipset motherboard.

Intel I7-3960x Processor.

Corsair Quad Channel DDR-3 - 1800mhz - 32gigs Ram.

EVGA GeForce GTX780Ti - 3gig - (x2) SLI.

Antec High Current Pro 1200 watt power supply.

WD Raptor harddrives.

Thermaltake Armor + LCS case.

custom built water cooling system

#4 larmoody

larmoody

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSt.Louis, Mo. USA

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:49 AM

you can buy a G27 shifter on ebay for 40 dollars
IMG_3306.JPG

Larry M

IRacing

rFactor / UDSRA Sprint Cars

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” -
Steve McQueen

#5 S30Zenzow

S30Zenzow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:51 AM

i can see the damage on the board and it is simple to repair.
but first you need to look at the other side of the board to see what was there at that same location.
there must be a resistor or diode that had a pin soldered at that location - you might need to replace it if you broke the pin from it.

Interesting, but I don't know anything about electronics. On the other side of the board says J12 and all I remember is that on the damaged place there was a solder point. And how do I know if it was a diode or a resistor?

#6 SUPERNOVADAVE

SUPERNOVADAVE

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:39 AM

i took a look at the video you posted and i see where you went wrong.
where it says j12 is a power connector - the ground pin is no longer connected to the board at the point where you removed the solder.
you need to look to see if the pin is still in the socket ( it could have fallen out ).
see if you can solder the pin back on the board and then because there is no longer any tracer left at that point of solder - you could solder a piece of wire from the damaged area to the next junction point.

note if you are not sure how to do it try to find a local electronics repair shop in your area.
it is simple and not expensive to do the job.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture 10.JPG
  • Capture 10.JPG

Custom Gaming Rig.

Asus Rampage1v Extreme X79 chipset motherboard.

Intel I7-3960x Processor.

Corsair Quad Channel DDR-3 - 1800mhz - 32gigs Ram.

EVGA GeForce GTX780Ti - 3gig - (x2) SLI.

Antec High Current Pro 1200 watt power supply.

WD Raptor harddrives.

Thermaltake Armor + LCS case.

custom built water cooling system

#7 S30Zenzow

S30Zenzow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:43 PM

i took a look at the video you posted and i see where you went wrong.
where it says j12 is a power connector - the ground pin is no longer connected to the board at the point where you removed the solder.
you need to look to see if the pin is still in the socket ( it could have fallen out ).
see if you can solder the pin back on the board and then because there is no longer any tracer left at that point of solder - you could solder a piece of wire from the damaged area to the next junction point.

note if you are not sure how to do it try to find a local electronics repair shop in your area.
it is simple and not expensive to do the job.

Thanks for the reply again, but the G27 doesnt have that connector. That connector is, I believe, for the sequential shifter on the G25. What I am going to do now is take it to a repair shop and see what they can do. I believe it's better to spend some money and have my G27 back than to spend much more money on another wheel or a separate shifter. Thanks for the help, anyways.

#8 S30Zenzow

S30Zenzow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:20 PM

Hello again. I took the board to an electronics shop and they fixed the main problem, but now, there is another one. The Circle button activates on its own. It isn't as bad when playing on PC, but when playing GT5 it's pretty bad. Does anyone have any hint on what could it be? I will try to post a video soon about the problem

#9 Maurie King

Maurie King

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:48 AM

A Hand brake Mod so to speak isn't really worth much because most if not ALL race sims DO NOT recognise partial application or allow for an analogue axis which is rather stupid since a real car's Handbrake will behave totally differently on gravel v tarmac.

The biggest issue I can see with this mod is the fact it is digital ie either ON or OFF and no inbetween .
Some sims however allow varying pressure percentages, so I started to think about making a pulse handbrake so that the higher you move the lever the faster the pulses are applied and therefore the Sim perceives this as a gradual application even though it is rapidly switching on and off.

I'll try to remember and keep everyone posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users