26 replies to this topic

#1 BK_NC

BK_NC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:42 AM

Found this recently on YouTube. This is pretty close to my dream setup. Triple projectors. It looks like the guy is actually in the car with the size image these can project. Looks so immersive. This is a far off dream for me since I don't have the room nor $1500 to spend for 3 720p projectors.

Check out these videos. Blew me away. And go to this guy's YouTube profile for a link to his photobucket account showing pics of his setup. His actual rig is fairly simple but its the triple projectors of course that blow my mind in his videos.

Does anyone here run a projector setup or even Triple projectors? Curious to hear your thoughts on your setups.

Something like this needs to be the next ISR setup since they already have standard triple monitors and now triple 3D monitors....... next step has to be triple projectors! :)

#2 mablon

mablon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:33 AM

Hi

I run with a single HD projector setup and have never regretted it. It makes a 50" plasma look like a laptop display.

I agree triple projector display is the ultimate setup but at the moment unless you are prepared to spend a heap of money and have lots of space it is still in most cases not practicable. The problem is that you really need a short throw projector so you do not have to mount it a long distance away and at the moment I cannot see any 1080p short throw projectors in my price range. Also, although the existing projectors are much lighter than in the past still need special mounts to fix them to the wall or ceiling. So unless you have a dedicated room for this setup it all starts to get too expensive in both money and real estate.

However the feature may be brighter. Take a look at this baby

http://www.trustedre... ... tor_review

Still not quite there but very close. A short throw projector that is very small, which means you could mount it on your rig. It is also very close to a HD specification The reviews have been raving about it and I understand is selling like hot cakes, which is good news as it means there is a market for this type of projector and hopefully other manufactures will start to bring out similar form factor projectors at lower cost and perhaps true HD. Until this time I will stick with my single HD projector

#3 BK_NC

BK_NC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:30 AM

Looking at that guy's pictures, the rooms he is usually just seems like a spare bedroom. At the moment, I don't have a spare bedroom or man-shack I could dedicate to that kind of setup. Hopefully one day.

I would eventually like to get at least a single projector. Been looking at the Optoma GT700 series since its short throw and around $500 to $600. 1080p projects are still twice the price of 720p projectors like that one. Maybe by the time I'm actually ready to buy one 1080p projects will have come down.

Thanks for the feedback.

#4 Mayaman

Mayaman

Guru Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:58 PM

I'm currently trying to make a triple projector room like this. I need another Gametime 720. the Gametime 720 is a great projector by the way.

I'm using fiberglass board covered in projection material to make it light and easily put away for storage. Right now my biggest dilemma is trying to figure out a way to mount the projectors. Since the GT750 doesn't have any type of zoom you have to manually move the projectors which makes the bodies collide into each other for the triple screen setup I'm planning. Hmmmm, I need someone to design a light, movable mount.

#5 BK_NC

BK_NC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:28 PM

The bodies of the projectors or are you talking about overlap of the images?

Try this forum if you need some help. Bhawthorne in this forum uses those projectors in triple setups.

http://widescreengam...tor-discussions

#6 Mayaman

Mayaman

Guru Member

• Members
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:23 PM

The body of the projectors are hitting because the space I have for this is only 67" wide and 100" long. Its basically the space I've been allotted for this setup. Now one projector is no problem. I've been projecting a 76" diagonal image on this wall no problem. And when I switch to triple 42" screens I have the space and then some. But in order to make the images line up the projector bodies will seemingly hit. I'm wondering if I mount them stacked if that would work.

#7 ibuycheap

ibuycheap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:32 PM

I don't see the point in triple projectors. With 1 projector and a panaramic lens you can just use 1 large curved screen. Unless you really want the pixel density which in that case you get a 4k projector and the ones that were shown recently at cedia are going to msrp at less than $4,000.

#8 Mayaman

Mayaman

Guru Member

• Members
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:17 AM

Panoramic lens? Would I get the same result as three projectors? I mean you need three Xbox to get the most out of Forza. I think we're thinking of different things.

#9 PAPA

PAPA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales UK

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:09 AM

Nope you would not. You would only get the info from one screen.

You could put it on the big screen in football arena and still not see as much as you would on three 24" screens. No matter how big your only getting one lot of info on screen.

Daz
Posted Image

I think of you all as friends but if zombies chase us I'm tripping you !

Joke ......... Two cannibals were eating a clown, One says to the other, does this taste funny to you?"

He who dies with the most toys wins..
XBL = FCTAFF

#10 Johnny Carr

Johnny Carr

Guru Member

• Members
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:36 AM

I don't see the point in triple projectors. With 1 projector and a panaramic lens you can just use 1 large curved screen. Unless you really want the pixel density which in that case you get a 4k projector and the ones that were shown recently at cedia are going to msrp at less than $4,000.

/*

I have a friend who uses a 72 inch projection screen and he does not see what I see with 3x24 inch monitors.

#11 BK_NC

BK_NC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:47 AM

I echo what the others have said. While I don't have a projector its basically just an adjustable size monitor. I've never heard of a panoramic lens before but all that would do, if it existed, is stretch the single image being rendered by the video card across the horizontal plane. It would look pretty weird. And like others have mentioned, 3 projectors or 3 monitors, at least for iRacing, put 3 different rendered views side by side. Just like 3 Xbox's do with Forza. You can't get those on a single monitor/project no matter how much you try to blow up the image.

Check out the widescreengamingforum and the guy I mentioned. He sets up demos of curved screens and multi-project gaming setups at trade shows and events. He uses multiple projectors.

As far as a 4k projector goes, there probably isn't a video card or SLI setup on earth that could put out a playable frame rate at that resolution so what would be the point.

#12 ibuycheap

ibuycheap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:37 PM

An eyefinity 6 card can power 6 monitors at 1920x1200 so yes you can do 4k. 4096×3072 is 4k

The reason why you aren't getting a wider image is because you aren't using software to show a wider field of view. http://www.widescreenfixer.org/

The anamorphic lens (google it) lets you use a curved screen without distorting the geometry.

It's no surprise that the guy setting up trade shows uses 3 projectors because it allows for higher brightness. 3 bulbs with a smaller image is brighter than 1.

#13 Mayaman

Mayaman

Guru Member

• Members
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:59 PM

Ah cool, but this doesn't work with Xbox and Forza.

#14 ibuycheap

ibuycheap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:04 PM

Nope

#15 BK_NC

BK_NC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:40 PM

An eyefinity 6 card can power 6 monitors at 1920x1200 so yes you can do 4k. 4096×3072 is 4k

The reason why you aren't getting a wider image is because you aren't using software to show a wider field of view. http://www.widescreenfixer.org/

The anamorphic lens (google it) lets you use a curved screen without distorting the geometry.

It's no surprise that the guy setting up trade shows uses 3 projectors because it allows for higher brightness. 3 bulbs with a smaller image is brighter than 1.

He's using 3 projectors to get a wider field of view ( 3840 x 800 ) than you can get with one 720p projector regardless of the lens you use or that fixer program.

I don't think I'm totally off base saying, I don't think a panoramic lens on a 720p projector and that widescreen fixer program (that looks to be meant for multi-monitor aspect ratio correction) is going to allow a single projector to go past its native 1280 x 800 resolution and display a 3840x800 image.

#16 PAPA

PAPA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales UK

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:46 PM

Mine with three screens is 5690x1080 something like that, Can't remember off the top of my head. Close to 6000 though.

Daz
Posted Image

I think of you all as friends but if zombies chase us I'm tripping you !

Joke ......... Two cannibals were eating a clown, One says to the other, does this taste funny to you?"

He who dies with the most toys wins..
XBL = FCTAFF

#17 BK_NC

BK_NC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:47 PM

Nope

I don't see why you couldn't setup a 3 projector setup with 3 xboxs and 3 copies of Forza. You can't use the edge blending software like on the PC but if you were able to line up the projectors just right you could probably line up the edges enough to not notice it much.

#18 ibuycheap

ibuycheap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:18 PM

He's using 3 projectors to get a wider field of view ( 3840 x 800 ) than you can get with one 720p projector regardless of the lens you use or that fixer program.

I don't think I'm totally off base saying, I don't think a panoramic lens on a 720p projector and that widescreen fixer program (that looks to be meant for multi-monitor aspect ratio correction) is going to allow a single projector to go past its native 1280 x 800 resolution and display a 3840x800 image.

I am not suggesting you change the resolution. You only change the field of view. The anamorphic lens nearly doubles the projected width. Without the anamorphic lens and using a wider field of view it would appear squashed.

#19 ibuycheap

ibuycheap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:21 PM

Nope

I don't see why you couldn't setup a 3 projector setup with 3 xboxs and 3 copies of Forza. You can't use the edge blending software like on the PC but if you were able to line up the projectors just right you could probably line up the edges enough to not notice it much.

He was refering to my post with the anamorphic lens. That can't be used with an xbox because you can't tell the xbox to output an image with an extremely wide field of view.

#20 BK_NC

BK_NC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:51 PM

Not trying to argue. :) Would like to see a video example of what you are talking about.

Right now the videos I see of triple projectors in iRacing in particular look amazing and I wish I have $1500 to spend on that and the spare room to do it in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users