132 replies to this topic

#21 PorkRoll

PorkRoll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:41 PM

Exactly. It doesn't exist in the market other than a promise from the developers and zero devices support it now and won't for at least another year (if we're lucky) while DisplayPort and HDMI become further entrenched. It will most likely be a niche product and unpopular with industry due to royalties that DisplayPort is free from. I wouldn't count on it becoming the new standard except to HD installers and do it yourselfers who want to terminate their own cables (but we all know how well most techs terminate cables, so expect HDBaseT to catch a bad rap for signal integrity and truncated bandwidth due to bad crimping habits) Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it.

#22 ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:59 PM

I wouldn't count on it becoming the new standard except to HD installers and do it yourselfers who want to terminate their own cables (but we all know how well most techs terminate cables, so expect HDBaseT to catch a bad rap for signal integrity and truncated bandwidth due to bad crimping habits) .

Echem.. I happen to actually be a home theater installer with a previously dusty networking degree. So I can guarantee this will take over the market very very soon in my line of work. The ability to terminate alone is worth it. 4K res on release is just insane. 100 meter runs with power? IR backtracking and full USB compatibility. And I NEVER EVER need to buy another premade cable. SOLD.

Besides, if you hired me to run any long HD signal it would have been over Cat5 anyway. They are just simplifying the madness.

http://www.bhphotovi... ... ender.html

#23 jeffmb45

jeffmb45

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:05 AM

Currently I'm running SoftTH with monitors 17" - 24.6" - 17". It took some tweaking and reading to
get it set up, but it's not bad for now. I'm kind of waiting for the 5000 series cards to drop in
price a bit before I make a buy. I see that the 5700 series cards support eyefinity also. So I'm
wondering, now that xFire is supported while using eyefinity, what about xfiring a couple of
5770's or 50's. Would you get comparable performance to one 5850?

#24 Draygonn

Draygonn

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:11 AM

what about xfiring a couple of
5770's or 50's. Would you get comparable performance to one 5850?

According to Tom's Hardware, yes.
"A pair of Radeon HD 5770s in CrossFire is a very effective high-end configuration for the dollar, often besting even AMD's Radeon HD 5850 on the performance front."
http://www.tomshardw... ... 697-5.html
"Cars make you really mad sometimes" - DW

#25 mikeyd101

mikeyd101

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:13 AM

Got my card this morning, all plugged in and working, even across 3 completely different screens and elcheapo display port to vga convertor. Aspect change isn't that noticeable in game (iracing), windows wallpaper looks a bit funky.

Running 3840x1024 across 3 monitors 1280x1024 (5:4), 1680x1050 (16:10) and 1600x1200 (4:3). Glad I went with the 5850, need todo some more tweaking, and can't find the bezel adjust atm, but only just thrown it together.

edit: just found this:

>Note: Bezel compensation only works in Single Large Surface (SLS) mode with monitor groups that have a pixel >resolution and density within a 5% tolerance of each other.

Guess the difference in my screens has scuppered it. ah well im happy as is.

Regards
Mike :mrgreen:

#26 biohazard75

biohazard75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:13 AM

mikeyd101: congrats on the card!
Your setup is interesting as it proves that the 5xxx series can address multiple monitors of very different resolution/aspect ratios, which I was incorrect in my assumptions about. :oops:

-----

I recently switched my iRacing insim setting from rendering a single screen (using the display group created by eyefinity of 3 monitors) to rendering the 3 screens individually. The results were interesting! I needed to adjust the positioning and FOV settings pretty dramatically, but there does seem to be significantly less distortion and stretching on the side screens now.

On the issue of 2x 5770s vs 1x5850:
on newegg (taking current cheapest prices):
5770s run ~$150 so 2x = $300
5850s run ~$285
advantage 5850
1 5850 requires 451 watt power supply
2 5770s requires 535 watt power supply
(assumptions: core i7 + 4GB DDR3 + desktop mobo + 1 DVD-RW + 1 7200 RPM HDD)
advantage 5850
Its going to cost more money to run 2x 5770s for parts (including a crossfire compatible mobo, which i didn't consider above) and to power them.

I don't have performance numbers available right now in iRacing for 2x5770s but I know I can run 1x 5850 at a locked 60fps (vsync) across 3 screens with every graphics option on and 12 car fields. There would need to be a significant frame rate improvement on the cross fire setup to make it worth it IMHO, and you would also need 120Hz monitors to take advantage of that. I have not tested my setup with an uncapped framerate recently, but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing framerates in the 90's when I was initially setting things up.

#27 mikeyd101

mikeyd101

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:57 AM

bio: Thanks. Been messing all day. Typical I get my card and iRacing is down for maintenance for 4 hours :( Still it allowed me chance to try and a few other games with it. I'm glad I went for the 5850 now I think the 5770 would have struggled. I still had to turn options down to get acceptable game play on most games. And also in the future can add an additional 5850's for more grunt in crossfire.

I setup 2 profiles a 3840x1024 SLS (3 x 1280x1024) grouping for running games. This means my other 2 panels are running 1280x1024, not there native resolutions which messes up the aspects a bit more. 5:4 on a 16:10 and 4:3 so one gets stretched and the other squished. Seems fine for playing games the centre panel my 16:10 you probably notice the stretch more than the side monitor, probably because your focused more on the centre screen, it obviously isn't ideal but will have to wait till I can get a fix/replacement power/invert for my other 1650x1050 display or more panels.

And I also have a desktop profile for running all panels in there native res. But having a few issues with the screen layouts when switching back to this mode, more digging required.

Thanks, I'll check out the render different displays in iracing.

Regards
Mike

Rest of my system is:
asus p5k-wifi ap mobo
Q6600
2gb ram

nothing overclocked, so theres a bit of performance there if i need it.

#28 Greg Veres

Greg Veres

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:39 AM

Darin, In the episode, you used the bezel compensation of the ATI software and you setup the three monitor support of iRacing. You only have to do one or the other.

When you use the bezel compensation (bezel management on my Matrox Triple head), it creates one big window and the games see it as one big window. The games know nothing about the area under the bezel and end up rendering pixels to display there. You can see this if you use something like FRAPS to record video.

But when you use iRacing's fantastic settings for three monitor support, you should turn off the ati bezel management and you should always enable the render as three separate screens. In fact, I don't think the settings like screen width etc do anything if you don't enable the render as three separate screens. What iRacing does when you set it up properly is it creates three different 3D view ports and it uses the geometry values that you enter to orient those view ports in the 3D environment. This gives you the perfect display on all three screens without the annoying fisheye lens distortion you get with other games. Rendering 3 images instead of one big image takes a bit more horsepower, but if your system can handle it, then disable ATI's bezel management and take the time to enter the correct values into iRacing's screen setup. (actually measure the distance from the center of the main screen to your eye etc).

I have been running the matrox triple head for a few years and I love it. You are absolutely correct that once you get used to it, you don't want to go back to a single screen. I used to think that rFactor was the best game for triple head action because they at least recognize the triple head and then limit the UI to the center screen, but iRacing's triple head setup is by far the best and only correct way to do it. Most of the other games I have tried have great game play, but they do a crappy job with the triple head and just stretch their UI across all three screens. With bezel management this makes their UI somewhat unusable because there will inevitably have some UI element hidden under the bezel. Simbin is notorious for this. After so many titles, they still can't seem to get it right.

Enjoy your triple head setup.
Greg

#29 Greg Veres

Greg Veres

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:40 AM

Can you guys post some screen shots of the stand you built? I have three 22" monitors sitting on a big desk. I have been thinking about how to build some sort of stand for them. I would love to see what you did.

Greg

#30 jcchaconjr

jcchaconjr

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

I think that one thing that should be mentioned in all this is the topic of CPU dependency for some of these sims. I will use my experience as an example. A few months ago, I replaced my aging 9800GT's in SLI configuration to a single GTX470. The 9800's were doing OK, but given that I like eye candy, the cards were struggling somewhat at 45-55 fps in iRacing, sometimes dropping into the low 20's during extreme situations (a 22 C6.R start at Daytona is an example of such a situation). In went the 470, and I was expecting much greatness... Only to find that it merely improved my experience by 10-15 fps in all situations.

I wouldn't consider my machine a slouch by any means. It was an nVidia i680 based machine with the fastest Core2Duo available for it, the E6750, with 4GB of memory. Recently, I decided to upgrade to a P55-based i7 system (870 - didn't feel like paying $50 more just to have an unlocked processor that I won't overclock anyway), and after installing iRacing, Holy Cow!!! That i7 system was now producing 120-140 fps with the same GTX470!

The moral of the story is: before investing in a bigger video upgrade, make sure that you have at least a quad-core processor in your system first. It will improve your experience in the long run, and may even improve it with your existing video card, if it isn't too old. Today's graphics cards are monsters, so make sure that your system has what it takes to let them flex their muscles.
JCSig.jpg
Digital Apex Racing - Miami, FL
SimRacing since "Indianapolis 500: The Simulation"!
iRacing, rFactor, GTR, GTR 2, GTR Evolution, Race '07

#31 adriecoot

adriecoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:17 PM

Just when i finally got around to upgrading my system so i can run full grids with maxed details on my 24 inch screen, all this 3 screen madness breaks out... now i feel outdated once again lol

Given the options for displays, what do you guys think would suit best a sim rig?

- One 40~50 inch 1080p TV
- Three 20~22 inch monitors
- One 720p projector
- One 24 inch 3D monitor (with nvidia 3d glasses)
-Three 22 inch 3d monitors (i would think this is the best of them all, but running 5760x1080 @ 120Hz would need some MASSIVE computing power).

to anyone who has had a chance to try different setups.. what do you think is the best way to go? what are the pros/cons of each? I see that 3 screens give better immersion and allow you to look farther into the apex, but what about the price/convenience ratio? would a single 42inch tv give you the same or similar results?

Basically i want to know pros/cons of one big screen vs three smaller screens.. What are your thoughts?

#32 Greg Veres

Greg Veres

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:10 PM

I completely agree.

With my matrox triple head system, once I started running iRacing, I was down around 30fps, some times as high as 50. That was with an nvidia 460. I was previously getting roughly the same performance from my 8800GTX. I was running a fairly old AMD 5600+ X2. I did notice that rFactor sucked when I forgot to include the flag telling it to use both cpus.

I upgraded to a 930 w/ 6 gigs of ram, windows 7 64bit and now it flys 90-110 fps commonly.

I think the test is to lower all the eye candy. If that doesn't really improve your fps much, then your cpu is holding you back.

Greg

#33 jcchaconjr

jcchaconjr

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:23 PM

Bah, I don't buy into the 3D hype, cost aside (and I would imagine that 3 120 Hz monitors would be pretty pricey). Triple screens is the way to go, however. I helped set up my buddy's screens, and he can't imagine going back to a single screen. It definitely spoils you, as both Darin and Shaun have pointed out in recent episodes.
JCSig.jpg
Digital Apex Racing - Miami, FL
SimRacing since "Indianapolis 500: The Simulation"!
iRacing, rFactor, GTR, GTR 2, GTR Evolution, Race '07

#34 Defcon Won

Defcon Won

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:10 PM

Stereoscopic 3-D doesn't take anything special, just some $3 glasses, and it's built into most nVidia cards now. Fun to play around with sometimes, but not something to use much since obviously it screws up colors so much.
That's as far into 3D as I'll go until they come up with a way to do it without any glasses at all.
•XBL/Xfire: Raw Kryptonite
•Logitech G27 •360 Wheel
•Win 7 64 •AMD FX-4170 •Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5
•16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz PC3-12800 •MSI 990FXA-GD65 Mobo
•X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro/Logitech Z-5500

#35 Tinker

Tinker

Guru Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts
  • LocationIn a retirement Igloo somewhere in Canada

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:25 PM

Stereoscopic 3-D doesn't take anything special, just some $3 glasses, and it's built into most nVidia cards now. Fun to play around with sometimes, but not something to use much since obviously it screws up colors so much.
That's as far into 3D as I'll go until they come up with a way to do it without any glasses at all.

The shutter glasses use by Nvidia do not affect the colors. But some pple has had headaches after extended use tho. What it does is that it will greatly lower your frame rate when running multi displays. If you want Nvidia Surround 3D you better get at least a pair of GTX460 since multi display surround with Nvidia requires SLI because currently any single Nvidia card can only support two displays (exception is the GTX295 but not in 3D just 2D surround). Nvidia surround (non 3d) is supported even on their older GTX2xx series, just a driver is all that is needed. I tested/running Nvidia Surround with GTX280 SLI'd. Good thing about the Nvidia solution is you do not need a DP compatible display or an active DP to DVI adapter but the bad is that you need two cards in most cases to support the three displays.

BTW: I have both Nvidia Surround 2D and ATi Eyefinty.

As far as not using shutter glasses, well in theory you can...if you can blink each eye at 60 time per sec per eye alternately ... :lol:
Posted ImageYou do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.

#36 Steve Hoppitt

Steve Hoppitt

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:43 PM

I'm going to throw an idea out there.

After watching episodes 76 and 77 of Inside Sim Racing I'm considering a budget triple screen setup. Although the guys used triple widescreens for both their high dollar and budget setups, I'm wondering about another option.

I'm thinking triple 19" LCDs hanging off a 5770 Radeon. The screens can be had for between AU$20 and AU$50 each at IT auction, and the 5770 Radeon for under AU$200 brand new. Three 19" non-widescreen monitors may not sound all that special (considering more and more of us are running 22" to 32" LCD widescreen displays), but run together would give a pretty descent viewing area, and should still enable side views from the cockpit.
"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing"
Posted Image
https://www.facebook.com/MDRAustralia

#37 Draygonn

Draygonn

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:04 AM

I'm thinking triple 19" LCDs hanging off a 5770 Radeon.

I like that idea. To me the benefit of a triple screen setup lies in the 2 side screens being at an angle. Being able to see into the turn, or in an FPS do some serious camping (uhm.. defend the objective I mean :lol: ) Having large screens or 3D is just icing on the cake. A 5770 and those 19's sound like a reasonable solution pricewise. Post pics...
"Cars make you really mad sometimes" - DW

#38 Steve Hoppitt

Steve Hoppitt

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:16 AM

Draygoon, I'm giving it serious consideration, as the 5770 should run the triple 19" monitors easily, with everything cranked, and since recently I began running a couple of my RF mods with VSync enabled a steady 60 FPS sounds fine (so far no issues at all).

My only hesitation is getting the full effect from non-widescreen monitors. Obviously widescreen displays would be better, with optimal peripheral vision available, but can't help but wonder if this would be a good solution also. At the moment I run a single 22' in my simulator (home built from MDF), so my line of thought is that the combined resolution would make it a worthwhile project, for a real budget outlay (especially since I'm about to upgrade from my 18 month old nVidia 512Mb 9800GT anyway) :D
Posted Image

#39 CaTaPulT

CaTaPulT

I Hope I know jack.... I AM Jack!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta, Canada

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:42 PM

Hi all.
I too would like to get into the triple screen thing, enough that when I buy my new Obutto cockpit, I am ordering the triple screen mount just in case.
My problem is I don't know if my PC has enough horsepower to run a triple screen setup even if I were to install a ATI 5750 or 5850 video card. So any help or suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
My current system consists of.......

gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P motherboard
Athlon 7850 dual core (2.8 Ghz)
socket AM2
4 gigs of Kingston Hyper-X dual channel memory.
GeForge 8800GTX

Now, I want the triple screen setup to run at minimum 60 fps at all times with eye candy turned on (not including 2 and 4 x AA), If I have to start turning down the graphic quality to the point the game/sim becomes ugly and unpleasing to the eye, then I'd rather stay with a single screen.
The purchasing of 3 x 24 inch monitors, that one special cable (video port?), a new video card, possibly new power supply is going to be costly, but also having to upgrade my computer (MB, CPU, Memory) also makes this very unattractive due to the cost. If I can get away with not upgrading my computer except for the stuff I mentioned above, then I might go for it in the near future.
Also, will this Eyefinity run on Windows XP pro or Vista 32 or do I have to upgrade my OS to Windows 7 and if so, do I get 32 or 64 bit versions? (more expense there, I have a unused copy of Win Vista 32 if that'll work).
The PC games/sims I play are.......
Grid, Dirt 1 and 2, GTR2, GTR evo/Race07, rFactor, Test drive unlimited 1, various NSF titles, Richard Burns Rally (in the mail as we speak).
Titles I'll be getting in the future..... Test Drive Unlimited 2, Grid 2 and Dirt 3 (if they are ever announced and produced) and possibly iRacing.
Thanks for any input. :)
Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<
Follow your dreams.... just not the one about being naked at work. :smile:

#40 Steve Hoppitt

Steve Hoppitt

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:39 PM

Now, I want the triple screen setup to run at minimum 60 fps at all times with eye candy turned on (not including 2 and 4 x AA), If I have to start turning down the graphic quality to the point the game/sim becomes ugly and unpleasing to the eye, then I'd rather stay with a single screen.

exactly my feeling, and this is why I'm tripping over myself deciding which way to go (apart from cost that is). My current 9800GT runs RFactor and GTR Evo cranked to the max on all in game settings at 1680x1050 on a single 22", so to sacrifice the visual quality when going to triple screens and a new graphics card(s) is of zero interest to me.

I've watched the eyefinity segment a few times, but don't recall Darin mentioning what he had his in game grahics set at, with the 5850. He did mention about running VSync (as do I) and getting the 60 FPS, but not whether he had to wind down the game settings or not.

I'm going to watch it again, but if it is there I missed it every time :D
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users