#1 Darin Gangi

Darin Gangi

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 3,463 posts
  • LocationSpokane Valley, WA

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:09 PM

SETUP:

ORIGINALLY YOU NEEDED TO START WITH A DISPLAY PORT CABLE.. PLEASE SEE THIS NEW VIDEO

You Do not need a Display Port Capable monitor, or a display port cable. All you need is a display port adapter and three monitors. ( I recommend matching monitors)

Go to www.monoprice.com to get great deals on cables and adapters.

Specifically this section

http://www.monoprice... ... p_id=10428

Make sure to get the ones that are made to adapt monitors, not the ones made for lap tops.

1. Display Port Setup was here..

5. Once I figured out that issue, it was time to setup things properly. By the way,, You Tube was a great resource for tutorials on how to set things up.. I honestly recommend them for more detail.. Im going to show basics.
6. First thing you have to do is create a group so the image stretches in the Catalyst Control Center
7. Then it asks if you want to adjst for bezel, which is the edge of your screens and say yes.. - B ROLL
8. After that’s done it will give you an adjusted res based on your bezel.. Mine is 5040x1050….
a. Use that in game to start with - Iracing also lets you fine tune
b. Every other title I used the adjusted rez to get as close as possible to having the bezel line up properly.
9. That’s it really except for adjusting your field of view to match your viewing distance.. Iracing asks what yours is.. After seeing where it puts you automatically in the iracing cars and what felt most natural, I did same in other cars.

System Specs

ATI 5850 Graphics Card
3.4 AMD Phenom 2 Black Edition
Gigabyte mobo
4 Gigs Ram
Antec Case

Dell 2408WFP Monitors

#2 Tinker

Tinker

Guru Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts
  • LocationIn a retirement Igloo somewhere in Canada

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:49 PM

I move my post to the recent epi section since it had nothing to do with Eyefinity or how its setup... :ugeek:
Posted ImageYou do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.

#3 biohazard75

biohazard75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:54 PM

Great instructions and overview on the video! Doing the research and setting up a 3 screen with ATI card takes some time: here's some more info and resources to help:

Active Display Port Adapter:
As said, this is required if one of your monitors does not have a DisplayPort input. You must have an ACTIVE adapter (requires external power because it has a clock circuit to generate a signal). This will cost ~$100. There are only 2 'clocks' (for lack of a better term) on the ATI 5000 series card. Each clock will run 1 DVI or 1 HDMI output so only:
2 DVI outputs
1 HDMI + 1 DVI outputcan be used at the same time which is why the DisplayPort is required; and why an active adapter is needed to generate a usable DVI or HDMI signal from this port

ATI lists approved Active adapters here: http://support.amd.c...ty-dongles.aspx

I strongly advise using 3 of the same monitors in any setup. Having different resolutions is a big problem all screens get dumped to the resolution of the lowest one. Also, you are alread going to have to deal with brightness issues, having mismatched monitors will compound this.

Speaking of brightness issues: most LCD monitors (especially affordable ones) give their maximum brightness when being viewed directly (straight on). Obviously the side monitors are going to be compromised, as you will angle them in to create your wrap around view. You may notice some artifacting (dimming) when using perhiperal vision vs. direct vision: looking out of the corners of your eye vs turning your head to look to the side. This is usually from not having everything lined up just right. Take your time, measure, and you should be able to get the 'sweet spot' for all the monitors to line up with where your head is in the rig.

Also, my best advise to avoid headaches is to look at something else (not a monitor) during straights on track.You just need a second of refocusing your eyes on a different focal plane every few mintues to avoid raging eye-strain headaches.

Thanks again Darin and Shaun for the info!

System Specs
ATI 5850 Graphics Card
2.8 Intel Core i7
Dell system & mobo
8GB RAM
ACER P235H monitors

#4 mikeyd101

mikeyd101

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:56 PM

Hey Darin,

Great show, I've recently been looking at the ATI 5000 range, to replace my knackered 8800GT which has stopped doing 3D :'(, I started off looking at the 5770. But my brother mentioned nvidia gtx 460, which looks the better bang for buck card, but lacks any type of single card triple screen feature. So that lead me to start looking at the 5830/5850 cards for the additional performance, but money is tight atm so may be forced into the 5770 which still looks like a kick ass card, just doesn't kick as hard :)

I've also seen quite a few people mentioning that they can't get past the POST phase on bootup, and have upgraded mobo/cpu to over come this (not an option for me). but some have mentioned that might be due to problem connected with either the power draw through the pci-e slot or that its a problem on older 1.1 pcie mobos, obviously those are all forum talk so doesn't get down the the real reason of there issues.

I'd love to know if you can run it at lower resolutions than max? I have 3 screens but there all different 1680x1050 (16:10), 1600x1200(4:3) and 1280x1024(5:4). I was wondering if you can run the card at "lowest common denominator" i.e 3840x1024 (3x 1280x1024) in my case (I know i'll have some wierd aspect issues), but just so I can run it till I can get some more screens.

Keep up the great work on the show.

Regards
MikeD

#5 biohazard75

biohazard75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:10 PM

Hey Darin,
I'd love to know if you can run it at lower resolutions than max? I have 3 screens but there all different 1680x1050 (16:10), 1600x1200(4:3) and 1280x1024(5:4). I was wondering if you can run the card at "lowest common denominator" i.e 3840x1024 (3x 1280x1024) in my case (I know i'll have some wierd aspect issues), but just so I can run it till I can get some more screens.
Regards
MikeD

The multiple aspect ratios are going to cause you major problems, if it works at all, which I'm not sure it will. Additionally, the 5770 is a good card for single screen, but I don't think it's got the horsepower to run 3 screens in a demanding 3D game.

good luck!

#6 tyzer

tyzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:24 PM

Darin, great post and show, nice to see the ATI solution getting some air time. Been running a dual 5870 crossfire solution since last year and it is the dog nuts!.

You didnt mention Dirt 2 and the directx 11, only mention cause its one of my favs and shows off some of the power of the cards in combination with the 3 screens.

thanks again

#7 Tinker

Tinker

Guru Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts
  • LocationIn a retirement Igloo somewhere in Canada

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:06 PM

Darin, try this concerning the DP not showing on boot. When in CCC just assign one of the DVI displays as the primary, depending on how you initailly mounted your displays you might have to reset the monitor location setup in CCC.
Posted ImageYou do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.

#8 Darin Gangi

Darin Gangi

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 3,463 posts
  • LocationSpokane Valley, WA

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:40 PM

Hey Darin,

Keep up the great work on the show.

Regards
MikeD

Hi Mike,

Thanks for watching and the compliments..

Yes you can run at a lower res. Not sure the minimum res on the monitors I had setup, but I think it was close to 3000 x 1050. So I believe yes you can as long as one can support display port or you get that display port adapter in all the great info that biohazard posted above (Thanks for that info by the way )

#9 Draygonn

Draygonn

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:48 PM

re: the ATI 5850. That is a monster graphics card. It's one step below ATI's single GPU flagship the 5870. About 20% less FPS for around $100 less. The 5850 runs much cooler and quieter than the 5870 and 5970 (a dual GPU card). One of the top power/money combo's is to run two 5850's in Crossfire.

Nvidia has the GTX 470 and GTX 480 as their top graphics cards. They both run hot and loud. Nvidia recently released the GTX 460 which is outperforming it's price range (around $200-$230). Running two of the 1Gig 460's in SLI gives a performance in the ballpark of dual 5850's due to SLI's superior scaling compared to ATI's Crossfire. It appears that Nvidia knew this card could steal some thunder from the GTX 480 so they limited the GTX 460 to only dual SLI, compared to a true GTX card which can do three or four cards linked together. I would bring up Porsche's neutering of the Cayman but I wouldn't want to start any flame wars. You will need dual Nvidia cards to run triple monitor setups, only ATI allows for one card to run 3. You won't need a display port adapter for a dual card NVidia triple screen setup. ATI actually has a version of the 5870 that can run 6 monitors by itself!

tldr; ATI HD5850 and Nvidia GTX 460 are both great graphics cards, give excellent bang for the buck, and have good temps and power consumption.
"Cars make you really mad sometimes" - DW

#10 PorkRoll

PorkRoll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:46 AM

Hey Darin, great show, I've recently been looking at the ATI 5000 range, to replace my knackered 8800GT which has stopped doing 3D :'(, I started off looking at the 5770. But my brother mentioned nvidia gtx 460, which looks the better bang for buck card, but lacks any type of single card triple screen feature. So that lead me to start looking at the 5830/5850 cards for the additional performance, but money is tight atm so may be forced into the 5770 which still looks like a kick ass card, just doesn't kick as hard :) MikeD

OK, Mike D, here's the straight scoop. The card you need right now will depend on the resolution and graphics quality of new games you're looking to play at. The 5770, 5830, GTX465 (avoid this card due to heat, loudness and power issues) and GTX460 768MB are all for lower resolution, medium setting and single screen games. For high res support of full quality settings in newer games, the 5850 is the break point and the lowest you should consider if those are your goals, especially if they involve more than one monitor. Basically, think of it this way for new games:

Med resolution, med settings, medium price, single screen: 5770 < 5830 < GTX460 768MB
High resolution, high settings, high price: GTX460 1GB < GTX465 < 5850 (only 5850 good for multiple screens)
High Resolution, high settings, very high price: 5870 < 5970 < GTX470 < GTX480

#11 PorkRoll

PorkRoll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:02 AM

BTW, for a little background on DisplayPort, why it's important and why it's set to become the new standard:
http://www.techradar... ... ers-214915

In synopsis: No royalty fees (unlike HDMI), much higher bandwidth, smaller connector (than DVI), carries sound like HDMI (but unlike DVI), less clutter (daisy chained monitors and data channel for USB on same cable), strong industry backing, and universal compatibility through adapters.

Oh, and if you need DisplayPort cables, don't go to Staples, go here instead. $6.36 for a 6' DisplayPort cable.

#12 ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:54 AM

Actually Displayport will not be the next big thing in video connectivity. The article you linked is from January 28th 2008. If it were going to happen it would have by now, But I now proudly introduce HDbaseT the baby of Sony, Samsung, LG and Valens Semiconductor.

http://www.audioholi... ... ad-hdbaset

I wont bore you with details but basically Cat5e cable may become very expensive if "monster" starts selling it with gold plating and carbon weave extruded oxygenless copper.

I actually signed up to link people to my rFactor driving view tutorial. It will help setup anyone's rFactor to the same corrected FOV as iRacing. Perhaps even better because rFactor allows you to tweak every setting for the camera.

http://www.racesimcentral.com/forum/showthread.php?5691-Setting-up-your-Driving-view

Although a triplehead or projector setup is recommended I use the correct FOV with my single screen with great success.

Here is a comparison video I put together showing how Bathurst looks and feels different using my corrected FOV (20.5) vs the VLN mod's default FOV (62.5)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWV0_u0r-Hk
Not sure if embed is working. Hardlink

#13 mikeyd101

mikeyd101

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:18 AM

Thanks for the advice guys, 5850 ordered :)

#14 biohazard75

biohazard75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:38 AM

you are going to like that card! :D congrats.

#15 marc1111

marc1111

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:32 AM

Nice overview Darin. Here is how my triple screen looks with a 5850 running 5040 x 1050 on 3x22" screens, with iRacing rendering 3 separate screens. The sense of immersion this creates while racing is awesome, and it enables you to run closer side by side action since you can actually see the car next to you. My lap times actually improved slightly because you can run a closer FOV for what is actually displayed on the center screen. Got a little seasick in the first 30 mins though! 8-)

#16 ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:53 AM

Shame iRacing doesn't let you adjust the cockpit camera or remove that steering wheel. You have a wheel in your hands right in front of you. You really only need to see a virtual one if your using a gamepad. Plus there is too much dash, If simulator is what they are going for then your view portal out of the car should the same height as the real cars windscreen. If you could make your view higher you might get more then the 6" of visibility out of the 12" height of a 22" monitor.

All sims really need to have the option to toggle the interior on and off. That way if you build a crazy cockpit you can situate the camera and just use your real wheel, dash as the interior.

#17 Draygonn

Draygonn

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:54 AM

you are going to like that card! :D congrats.

Seconded!

Has anyone run a triple screen in portrait instead of landscape?

It looks like the triple screen setup is great for racing, seeing into the turns and some cars to your side. How is it for FPSing?

Do they make stands for holding all three monitors?
"Cars make you really mad sometimes" - DW

#18 ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:14 PM

Has anyone run a triple screen in portrait instead of landscape?

It looks like the triple screen setup is great for racing, seeing into the turns and some cars to your side. How is it for FPSing?

Do they make stands for holding all three monitors?

Relevant to your interests

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGJj9qKRH3g

http://forums.bistud... ... stcount=13

#19 PorkRoll

PorkRoll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:02 PM

Actually Displayport will not be the next big thing in video connectivity.

I'll believe HDBaseT when I see it. DisplayPort has advantages over it in the currently overcrowded interface market. First, it exists. It's real and not a marketing idea. It's a basic interface on all current video cards, most new PCs with integrated graphics, many new monitors, and the ubiquitous interface on Macbooks. It already has a following in the market and hardware manufacturers love it because it's royalty free. Right now, HDBaseT is just a twinkle in its developer's eyes.

#20 ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:30 PM

Right now, HDBaseT is just a twinkle in its developer's eyes.

um, If you read the article you would know that it is done.

"they waited to announce and promote the new incorporation until the HDBaseT 1.0 specification was finished. That's right, the 1.0 spec is COMPLETED, not just announced as some vague vaporware never to be finished."

Complete. awaiting UL certification for the 100 Watts of AC over cat5. The group was smart and never actually announced its development. They just did it and announced its completion. Expect it on your hardware in 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRDBMtoZsFU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users