6 replies to this topic

#1 motiondave

motiondave

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:59 AM

Firstly, thanks to Rob at xsimulator.net for sorting the code, providing a diagram for wiring, helping a nooooooob set it up, providing a side simtools based application to get it running.
I used a freetronics Arduino 11, 3 leds, a 10k pot, wire, some resisitors, a box I found lying around and hey presto! Shift light adjustable.
Well, not quite.
I used a piece of curtain rod for the big red light, and a bit of RC lever thingy to mount the light on. It sits just behind my wheel, so I can see green and orange below it and red above it. The lights are certainly bright at night.
But it is adjustable currently in simtools, Currently tested in race07. Basically, sit in pits , rev car, adjust light to where you want it, go racing. If you change cars, readjust.
It suits diesel to F1, so BIG rev range.
Video of it adjusting, fairly simpl
Yes I know I need to swap orange and green leds around.
IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG

#2 Thirsty

Thirsty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:12 AM

Hey David

Great you got that one working...really awesome :)

You would be the perfect guy to help out a fellow sim racer in Brissie who's got a broken DSD button box...just kidding mate...really:-)

I'm bad with electronics, but would love to be able to do that.

#3 motiondave

motiondave

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:11 PM

Hello Thirsty, I had to rely on others to help me, even with a wiring diagram Shift Light.png

I am hopeless with electronics as well , even worse with coding, hence sticking with the Pololu JRK for motor control.

And then the code was written by one of the boys at Simtools site. I am testing the code for each game as the change is released.

The main priority currently is to get the public release of Simtools up and going.

Things like shift light code plugins, dash board plug ins are in development.

As for your broken DSD box, what controller is in it?

#4 Thirsty

Thirsty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:26 PM

Hi David, yeah you got it working and that counts. It's a nice diagram. You think you'll have to pay for simtools later on?

Reg my button box, I'm not sure - I think there's a DSD controller in there. I opened it up once and was surprised about the amount of cabling in there.

I'm offering it on Gumtree, but it's apparently not very attractive. I was offered 20 bucks:-) Guess I will get a replacement switch from Jaycar and fix it myself.

The problem I see coming up is lack of space as my screens are very close. See how we go.

I'll let you know later when back home.

#5 motiondave

motiondave

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

Simtools will always be free. Thats the idea of it. not have to pay for an offline version because the developer is getting greedy and makes the online activation unreliable. Simtools is way more reliable, more plug is for games, dash apps that work, etc. You are register on xsimulator site, have a dig through there.

If jaycar doesnt have the right button, there is rs components here in Sydney as well.

The wiring diagram was done by someone eles, thats how hopeless I am at electronics.

#6 Thirsty

Thirsty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

Simtools will always be free. Thats the idea of it. not have to pay for an offline version because the developer is getting greedy and makes the online activation unreliable. Simtools is way more reliable, more plug is for games, dash apps that work, etc. You are register on xsimulator site, have a dig through there.

If jaycar doesnt have the right button, there is rs components here in Sydney as well.

The wiring diagram was done by someone eles, thats how hopeless I am at electronics.

...well, you can read it mate:-)

Guess I will get into Simtools at some stage - it's just the question when.

I got some pics showing the guts of my box:

P1000391.JPG  - the controller - it's a DSD as I was assuming

P1000392.JPG  - all the switches - the broken one is in the top right hand corner - lots of wiring huh?

P1000394.JPG  - here the broken 12-way rotary encoder

P1000370edit.jpg  - that's what the switch looks like on the other side - it's exactly the same as the other three 2-way rotary encoders

Haven't made it to Jaycar yet, but I'm pretty confident I will find some switch to put in there. Would be idea if it looked the same as the other ones.

Cheers

• motiondave likes this

#7 motiondave

motiondave

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:50 AM

if you get stuck, as on xsimulator.net forum.

Looks like you should be able to fix him yourself

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users